Saturday, May 31, 2008

Passionate Housewives Desperate for God

A few weeks ago, the head of our ladies' ministry at church asked if I'd be willing to do book reviews for future Ladies' Breakfasts. I thought, "Why not?" and agreed to it. Well, she gave me my first book on Sunday. It's called

Passionate Housewives Desperate for God
Fresh Vision for the Hopeful Homemaker
Jennie Chancey & Stacy McDonald

I'm only half-way through the third chapter, and I am astounded! Every word is truth. This book is unique in that it is written by modern women to a modern audience. I'm not saying that older books are not useful -- on the contrary! It's just part of what makes this book unique among a great deal of what's out there for women. So what's the gist of the book so far? Here's a quick run down:

The authors have taken great care to uncover the deception being fed to women in all formats. Direct references to the movie "Stepford Wives." Indirect references to "talk shows and self-help books"...not to mention the catchy title that makes one think of a currently popular (horrific) show. It's everywhere. People telling women that staying home is worthless, is going nowhere, uses none of your talents, blah blah blah. I would type out all I've read so far if I had time and copyright laws didn't exist!

After a potent chapter portraying a typical housewife's afternoon of chaotic kids, a messy home, an unkempt appearance, and pervading unhappiness with her life as she sits doing nothing except indulging in a novel, the authors move into what they call "Me-ology." Me-ology is a term they use to describe this notion that wives/mothers deserve me-time, that it's a right everyone else should accommodate. Propaganda for Me-ology is everywhere you look in this society. Self, self, self. Happiness, fame, beauty, money, relaxation, success, escape. But it's not just in society -- it can be easily found in churches, on Christian blogs, and from the mouths of Christian motivational speakers. But is it the TRUTH? Where in Scripture are we ever told to think of self before we think of others -- unless it is referring to confrontation of sin?? Check out this awesome paragraph from chapter two "You Mean It's Not All About Me?":

Biblical motherhood means sacrifice, selfless love, and faithful dedication. It means we're there with our families--body, mind, and spirit. To recognize our purpose in motherhood, we must see the godly generations beyond our own children (Gen 24:60, Deut 4:9, 7:9). It means denying ourselves (Matt 16:25) and being consumed with God and His love for us. It means starting each morning on our face in repentance and thanksgiving, pleading for His grace and for the strength to glorify Him in our daily endeavors. It means loving God more than we love our children--and consequently, He will equip us to truly love them and prepare us to serve them through Christ our Lord. It means impacting future generations by our faithfulness now. (p. 21)

The third chapter then delves into "Embracing Your Sacred Calling." And the way the authors dig into what the Biblical calling of wife/mother is truly reveals the sacredness of the role. They point out that women often denote that they are "only a housewife" or "just a homemaker" when asked what they do. But is that how God sees it? Not at all! It hit me while reading that Paul specifically states for women to be "keepers at home" in his letter to Timothy. What's questionable about that?? I never focused on the weight of that instruction because I always breezed by it in agreement. He meant what he said -- that wives need to be keepers of the home. And it is SO easy to become discontent, resentful, bitter, you-name-it when you do not fully embrace the sacred, God-ordained-and-designed role of Wife & Mother. When we begin to understand all the role encompasses and how precious it is to God and to the core of the family, then that is when we will be most happy, things will run most smoothly (even during trials), relationships will be most deep, and God will receive most glory.

I had to stop reading chapter three today because I was so joyfully overwhelmed with encouragement and affirmation! I just started crying and thanking God for the privilege He has given me to stay home and be a helper for my husband and a mother to our children...the opportunity He has given me to be a crowning glory to the man I love and a life-long mentor to the boys I adore. It was also affirmation that the mundane tasks of housewifery are not mundane at all -- which is EXACTLY what my whole senior seminar in Home Ec was about, "From Domestic Duty to Bountiful Blessing." Wanna know the content of my seminar in one easy paragraph? Read what I found in chapter three!

Often we don't view our daily activities biblically. We wrongly believe that the more mundane the task, the less significant it is to God. As difficult as it may be to believe, the hands that tenderly bathe your baby at night are no less holy than the hands that serve you communion on Sunday. Every small act of love to your family--every diaper you change, every meal you prepare, every toilet you scrub, every errand you run, ever fever you tend to, each tooth you pull, every moment of undefiled intimacy with your husband--each one is a holy act when it's done as unto the Lord. (p. 37)

Praise God for that! What more can be said??

I'm sure much more when I get a chance to continue reading.... :-)

2 comments:

Kathie said...

Wow, WOw, WOW!!! That last paragraph is so good. The whole post is good but that last paragraph....I guess I never have heard/read your senior seminar. Thanks for posting this...need to order the book

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're liking that book! That book was recommended to me several months ago, and it hasn't made it onto my reading list yet. But I sure do want to read it now! I recently discovered Vision Forum books and they are so good and deeply encouraging, so I'm sure this book is nothing less than wonderful!
Oh, and I thought I'd say thanks for the advice and I'll get onto it as soon as I get back from vacation!

Powered By Blogger