Tuesday, March 22, 2005

What a whirlwind of a weekend!

Wow...God is amazing...last Saturday and Sunday were chock full of Biblical and spiritual realizations. I'll have to space them out over the next few blogs so as not to take up the entire Web space!

First and most incredible realization:

I NEVER knew that the Last Supper was actually part of the Passover Meal that Christ and His disciples took part in as a regular part of Jewish life. Matt and I went to a Jewish Seder on Saturday night. It was so much fun, and so insightful.

The bread that Jesus took and broke is actually the matzah (unleavened bread) that is hidden and then found during the meal. It is called the "Finding of the Afikomen." The father goes to each of his children and asks where the Afikomen is. Finally, he gives them golden chocolate coins as a ransom to get back what belongs to him. God gave Christ as a ransom to bring us back to Him. Then, the Afikomen is broken and given to each member of the family. Christ was broken, and given to us.

Then, the cup that Christ took and said was His blood is really the 3rd cup of the Seder, called the Cup of Redemption. The connection is obvious. Christ was poured out for our redemption! After that, Christ said He would not drink of the vine until we are all gathered to Him. The man doing the Seder said that this means Christ did not drink the 4th cup, the Cup of the Kingdom. He said his opinion is that Christ will pass this cup out at the Marriage Supper of the Lamb, and he has and will never drink the 4th cup until Christ is the one that hands it to him. So none of us drank the 4th cup either!

There is more to come...but that's just a little something to start off with!

Here's to Jewish tradition...there is much more to our Christian faith than just Christian faith!

4 comments:

Jaclyn said...

It is truly amazing! And what a week to think about it all! I tried to look over my stuff this morning and could not find the one page I was looking for. The Messianic Jewish lady in our church had given me a chart of the feast/celebrations of the Jews and how each of them tied in to Christ. I want to find it so I can share it with you! Love ya!

Anonymous said...

I love that Jesus' life is always so new and fresh to me. Last night, Maundy Thursday, I was reading the account of the Last Supper in all four gospels, and realized that in John, as Jesus prays, He is asking the Father not to just take care of the world, but His own disciples/friends. It hit me suddenly that Jesus loved those 12, not just with divine love, but with distinctly human love that is a little selfish. I am amazed over and over how Jesus became one of us, and remained God!

Anonymous said...

I love that Jesus' life is always so new and fresh to me. Last night, Maundy Thursday, I was reading the account of the Last Supper in all four gospels, and realized that in John, as Jesus prays, He is asking the Father not to just take care of the world, but His own disciples/friends. It hit me suddenly that Jesus loved those 12, not just with divine love, but with distinctly human love that is a little selfish. I am amazed over and over how Jesus became one of us, and remained God!

Anonymous said...

oops....okay, read that twice. It's still good,

Powered By Blogger