Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Say a Prayer

I just e-mailed my friend Jodee in hopes to encourage her. She is due to have her first baby in September. She is one of my very good friends from college, and it just makes me smile and giggle when I think of her having a baby! How fun! As with any new mom (myself DEFINITELY included), she expressed some anxiousness about the pending birth and raising of a child. It was so refreshing to get all my thoughts down...and I thought I'd post them here to remind all you moms and tell all you not-yet-moms about the anxious-thoughts-turned-to-amazing-realties of becoming a mother.

----------------------------------------

I am glad you shared with me your reaction to finding out and what you feel as you look towards having Baby. It's good for you to talk about it. I kept my thoughts and feelings to myself more than I should have...and they were very similar to your own as far as knowing how serious a life change it is. I had the opposite reaction when we found out -- denial. :-P I was a little more anxious than you about the labor/delivery, but my mom sent me some very cheery flowers with the PERFECT words: "God designed your body to do this." What relief and peace washed over me! He DID design a woman's body to give birth -- so my body could do it. But boy was I contemplative about the change. It IS huge, Jodee. I won't candy-coat it for you. Your and Jason's relationship will change. You will always be tired (unless God lets you be different the rest of us). Your patience and selfishness will show up even MORE than it did when you got married (assuming marriage unveiled it for you...it did for me!). You will learn ever more how to live day by day, letting tomorrow worry about itself. You will have the inconvenience of pain, bleeding, sore nipples, swelling, in-between-clothing. You'll get to find out how pregnancy has changed certain things about your body for good (my ribs and hips are much more spread out permanently, I am more prone to in-grown toenails for some odd reason, my hair is falling out like crazy).

But Jodee...

You will look into the precious eyes of your son and see the joy of the world in there. You will hold his soft little hand knowing God trusts you with the care of another human being -- HE knows you are ready whether you think so or not. You will kiss that sweet plump cheek and not ever get enough of it. You will watch your husband's eyes sparkle as he tenderly holds his son. Jason will come to understand more of what it is to be a woman and deal with the struggles of being a wife and mother -- he will serve you in ways you never knew he could. You will learn the fine and valuable art of being flexible, letting go of the details. You will have a tiny companion during the day while you stay home. You have the chance to raise a little soldier of the Lord. You will come to understand just how fragile and precious life is. You will learn above all how much MORE you need the Lord's strength and guidance as you care for the blessing He has given you.

You will never be able to express in words the profound love you are about to aquire. It is JUST as strong as the love you have for Jason, but in a very different way. You'll see.

---------------------------------------------

Say a prayer for Jodee and my other friend Denise who is also due in September. Both are new moms having sons. Motherhood is precious!

3 comments:

Autumn said...

::fighting off baby fever::

(posts like this don't help)

Donna said...

I know what you mean Aut!!

Motherhood IS scary, yet the most wonderful experience ever.

You will never stop being scared of the unknow, every different season and stage brings more an more questions??

YOU CAN DO IT!!

My biggest question is, "Am I doing this right??" I may not be but, I let myself be comforted in te fact that God kne wwhat he was doing and I am the best mom for my kids...and you are the best mom for your kids=)

Cjsmomx6 said...

Once again, you summed it up perfectly. I know after I became a mother it gave me an even deeper love for God the Father and the sacrfice it took for Him to give His only son.
One more thought, I was apprehensive about delivery with my first also but for me, by the ninth I was more than ready to not be pregnant anymore. To be able to sleep a little better and to sleep on my belly!! :)
Love you, Janet

Powered By Blogger