Monday, January 09, 2006

Pray Before You Study

I was reading in Ecclesiastes a few morning ago after Matt left the bed to do his own morning study, and I realized that I really have come to enjoy using Matt's Bible for study and mine for just reading. But he took his Bible for that particular morning's study. So I decided to meditate on what the truth of God's Word does for us in our walk since I had reached a passage in Ecclesiastes that was nigh impossible to interpret on my own. I started reading Psalm 119 and marking the verses that were the desire of my heart. I came to the one part of the chapter that many people know by heart. But this time it struck me anew. What a PERFECT prayer for me to offer up each time I am about to study His Word. I have had a growing desire lately to really know Scripture, to understand what I read rather than just read. I want to retain its principles. I have thought more about how it is Truth that sanctifies us. It is the Word that lets us know more of Who God is. The more we know of Him, the more we know of ourselves...and the more we are put in our proper place. It is the Word that makes us more sensitive to our sin -- something I also desire more of right now.

This is my new prayer, one I hope will occur every morning from now on. I'm even making book marks with this passage on it for Matt and I.


Psalm 119:33-40
(ESV version)


Teach me, O Lord, the way of your statutes; and I will keep it to the end.
Give me understanding, that I may keep Your law and observe it with my whole heart.
Lead me in the path of Your commandments, for I delight in it.
Incline my heart to Your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!
Turn my eyes from looking at worthless things; and give me life in Your ways.
Confirm to Your servant Your promise, that You may be feared.
Turn away the reproach that I dread, for Your rules are good.
Behold, I long for Your precepts; in Your righteousness give me life!

7 comments:

Jaclyn said...

Such a wonderful reminder... what translation is that?

No email from Shannon yet... :-) I guess I COULD give her a break since I just emailed her yesterday! ;-)

Autumn said...

can't wait to tell about the study I'm doing! (don't have time right now)

Dawn said...

Corrected it for you, Jaclyn. :-) I'll e-mail Shannon right now...since I forgot to earlier when we were talking about it! :-P

Kathie said...

umm, I would like a bookmark too. that is a great prayer to pray as you study the word...I guess I could make my own book mark, couldn't I. Thanks for the ideas :)
Momma

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the email. It was encouraging.

And ryc on my blog, that was a good episode. Did you notice the images in the black smoke? Very cool.

Talk to you later.

Autumn said...

we saw the images in the black smoke

Anonymous said...

"The more we know of Him, the more we know of ourselves."

I really identify with this statement. I really believe that we are put on this world for God and for each other.

Powered By Blogger