Friday, January 20, 2006

Post-Birthday Post -- or rather, Book

Well, so begins my second day of being 24. Yes, I do feel a year older. Jaclyn made a really good point yesterday - She always feels a year older when alot has happened in that year to grow and mature her both in life situation and maturity. I think she is completely right. And I think I have several huge reasons to feel older. Celebrating one year of marriage, moving across the country to a whole new life, new job for Matt, and becoming parents. Yep. I definitely feel 24. And I think it's a good age to be for where we're at in life. Now for Matt to join me in May... :-P

Yesterday was a good day all around. It started with sleeping in an hour later than usual while Matt had his own breakfast and study. Then he came and cuddled with me for a while before he had to get ready for school. A perfect way to start the day in my opinion. Nothing like a golden room being lit up by morning sun and relaxing in the arms of the one you love. ::sigh of relaxation:: I laid in bed awake for a whole hour more as I talked with my mom and Autumn, both calling with birthday wishes. One began with a big Happy Birthday! and the other began with a smile-inducing rendition of the Happy Birthday Song by Autumn and three little munchkins. Yes, I got out of bed to see Matt out the door. I'm not THAT lazy on my birthday! :-)

I then had a wonderful oatmeal, strawberries, and coffee breakfast as I began my morning chat with Jaclyn. It was just me and her all morning long. No one else was online. No one called. It was very special to me to have that undistracted time with her on my birthday. Not that I don't enjoy talking to others, but it almost felt like we were out to coffee or something. So much fun! It only continued the perfect way my day started. But alas, she can't stay at work forever!

I had a good healthy lunch of a turkey sandwich with my favorite trimmings - cheese, lettuce, and tomato. With some healthy flax seed infused blue corn tortilla chips. Caught some TV, though there really wasn't much on. Lost Fans - Did you know the images in the black smoke during its stare down with Eko were scenes from Eko's past??? Him holding his brother, the man he killed when he was young, a crucifix, and a woman we haven't been introduced to yet. Crazy!

Anyway, then I went and got all comfy in bed again and read more of Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers. I'll be sad when I turn the page and there is no more! A couple hours later I finally got around to getting ready for our birthday outing -- doctor's appointment (shouldn't it be the patient's appointment?), Olive Garden, and birthday gift shopping.

Doctor's Appointment - Oh...my...word. It was SO pleasant this time around! Perhaps we finally broke through the barrier with each other? It was the first normal, routine visit I've had. For those who knew I *sadly* gained 8 pounds over December, I managed to LOSE 1/2 pound in the last two weeks. Praise the Lord! Everything is perfectly fine and healthy with both Judah and I. Dr. Goodwein always asks if I have any questions, and I said no yesterday. He said, "You are just too calm for a first timer." :-) I did eventually ask his thoughts on epesiotomes and epidurals...and boy was he talkative. But his coutnenance was so pleasant the whole time. This doctor is truly the one I needed, regardless of how indifferent and gruff Matt and I thought him to be. Again, praise the Lord! I see him again in two weeks...and then *drum roll* I begin seeing him every week. That means the time is REALLY getting close now!

Olive Garden - Tasty. Need I say anything else? We had such a wonderful waitress. She reminded me alot of Jodee Upchurch in her casual, friendly, and servant's heart attitude. Though she was not quite as bubbly and outspoken as dear Jodee. ;-) And I have concluded that you know you truly have a grown-up taste when tiramisu is the heaven of desserts to your taste buds. ::sigh:: Could I have a-nuther, puh-lease? Richly coffeed soft lady fingers with such creamy marscapone dusted with decadent fine chocolate... ::snaps and comes to::

Birthday Gift Shopping - Ok. I have a deeply rooted issue with spending money on completely frivolous things that are for myself. It really is a serious problem. I was intending to get some practical but pretty clothing ::ahem:: but was not impressed with the colors/patterns available. Lerner was having an AMAZING SHAZAAMING sale, and we looked around for a while in there...even contemplating getting a pair of nice cords for $10 in the size I wish to be after losing weight post-pregnancy. And there was a cute blue sweater for only $12! I wasn't sure about having "Goal Pants" because people always warn against losing weight to fit into a specific piece of clothing, and Matt didn't really like the style of the sweater. He did come up with the great idea...ALL his idea and I am impressed...of having a jar post-pregnancy and a weekly weigh in. He said for every pound I lose, he'll put $3 in the jar for a new clothes. So if I lose 50 lbs (including the weight I lose during delivery such as baby, etc.), that's $150! I could do alot with that! So we went to JCPenney's to look at necklaces since I was only able to find one at Christmas. Enter my deeply rooted issue.

A necklace is PURE ADORNMENT and nothing more. Yes, nice clothes are not necessary. We could wear cheap clothing and have the need for covering met. But I feel that we as Christians are to look presentable while fulfilling our need for clothing. Clothes are not PURE adornment. They are a necessity with the option of being adornment. A necklace? Useless. A pretty thing to hang around your neck and nothing more. Do people wear them for themselves or so others will notice? If I wear a necklace that is trendier than my classic silver simple jewelry, what will others think? Will they think I am trying to fit in and/or be noticed? Will they notice my necklace and not me? Couldn't $12 be spent on something that is pretty AND practical? Why does it seem like such a waste to spend it on a necklace?

Those are just a FEW of the questions Matt and I discussed while I contemplated the necklace I found that I think is beautiful but is SO not anything like what I own or wear right now. I always buck the trend. I love being considered classy and sophisticated with an edge...remember my wedding? Tradition with twist? Well, this necklace is all twist with no tradition. Matt brought up the FACT that I spent more time deciding on this necklace than I did on the bed frame and dresser...and the necklace is only a drop in the bucket compared to what we paid for the furniture. He is right. And I saw how silly I was being. But it truly is HARD for me. Jaclyn understands. She's got a big mother of pearl butterfly necklace she branched out with. Matt ended up telling me to just get the necklace (it is a birthday gift after all so it's ok if it's frivolous) and try it on with the outfits I had in mind. If I didn't like it, I could take it back. So, I got it. It does look good with the outfits I had in mind. I just hope I can pull it off as well as some other people can with this kind of trend going on (Aut, you'd look awesome in it!). Matt assured me it's ok to change styles! Everyone does it. I don't know if I want to completely change my style, but it would be nice to let down my hair and be a little funkier once in a while. :-)

I like it best with the two short necklaces off of the pendant one. I'm going to see about getting some hooks for the other two necklaces...so I'd have three necklaces out of one with several combination options.

Then we finally got home to find my annual birthday flowers from my mom. Ahh, so nice to have fresh flowers inside our home. Is there anything more refreshing, serene, and joyful at the same time? They are purple and yellow flowers of various varieties in a clear purple square vase. (For some reason I can't get the picture from the camera to the computer even though I just did it with the necklace pictures. I'll keep working on that.) Matt worked on homework while I messed around with taking pictures of my necklace. And Jaclyn called to SAY Happy Birthday rather than type it. A good way to end the day just like it started! Then...I got back to reading Redeeming Love until bed time.

And tonight, we're having Rich & Diane and Kim & Moses over for dinner/Bible study. And since my mentor group suprised me with a birthday cake on Tuesday...we get birthday cake for dessert! Matt and I have done very well not to cut into it yet! Thanks for letting me share my day! Birthdays seem to get less people filled and more relaxing the older I get. Eventually though, I'd like to have a party again!

Don't forget to read my other blog The Sanctifying Truth as well as Faulty Double Helix, both links are at the left. I hope you all have a wonderful Friday and good weekend!

10 comments:

Indiana Mama said...

And I called to say Happy Birthday too, but not even an honorable mention..... :(

BenZ said...

I LOVE the necklace!!!!!!!! It is beautiful AND I think it is classy too! I'll have to take pictures of the butterfly one so you can see it...

I had a delightful time with you yesterday and love you more than words can express! You are one of the most amazing blessings from God that I have ever had in my life! :::BIG HUG:::

Man, I really need to post on my blog. I have so much to say and no energy to get it on "paper"!

Jaclyn said...

OH...MY... WORD! THat was NOT Ben, that was me!!!!!! How hilarious!

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Birthday. What horrible friends Paul and I are for not sending you a card or even giving you a call...

I think I'm going to follow your schedule for my birthday - the next time it becomes a weekend and not a work day, that is.

Have a great weekend!

Kathie said...

Dawn!!! I love that necklace! I like it better without the other two shorter ones. By itself, it is soooo elegant looking. ooo, I can imagine you dressed as Lizzie or Jane (pride and prejudice) with you hair part way up and curls coming down you back and your beautiful necklace 'round you neck...gorgeous. I'm glad Matt "made" you get it. Yay Matt!!
I love you,
momma

Paul said...

Happy Birthday to the older sister I always knew I never wanted.

We miss you guys!

Autumn said...

cool necklace :) glad you had such a great day

Dawn said...

In response to Brenda's comment...

I apologize for not mentioning all the others who called. It was a busy day and it's hard for me to remember every detail right now. So thank you to...

My Dad
Hope
Rachel
Linda
Brenda

for calling me to wish me well. And for those who didn't even get to talk to me, I appreciated your sweet messages!

Indiana Mama said...

Hee Hee ... I really put my comment in just to make sure you were reading my comments...

Gotcha..

Thanks for reading them.

Anonymous said...

meh. so i realize i had a big crazy test on your birthday, but i knew i was forgetting something. I so sorry i forgot. I love you and Maligayang Bati, akon palangga.

and i didn't realize you were older than matt, you cheeky minx!

Powered By Blogger