I know it's after Thanksgiving, but does that mean I can't finish my 2-part series? We should always be thankful!
We had a wonderful trip to Santa Clarita from Wednesday to Saturday. It was so relaxing to be with the Jensens, family away from a home that is away from blood family. :-) Linda outdid herself again with the perfect tasting traditional meal! We watched Batman Begins since they had never seen it. Then on Friday, I got to go shopping with Linda...I forgot what it is like to shop with only a woman, have money to spend only on what you WANT, and not be pressed for time. I got my Christmas shirt and earring -- it was exactly what I had in mind! I'll post a picture as soon as I can get it taken. Both drives (down and back) were uneventful and reminded us just how beautiful northern and southern Cali are. And man alive! Has anyone ever seen a wine vinyard in the fall??? A literal SEA of gold and cranberry colored leaves. Simply gorgeous!
Here is a list of 10 things I am Thankful for:
1) God - Sounds like a pat answer. I was thinking of what adjective to use to describe Him, but I can't choose just one. I am thankful for His sovereign control, His faithfulness when I am unfaithful, His nearness even when I am not near Him, His creativity, His goodness, His love, His holiness though I can not fully grasp it. How do you even say everything you are thankful for about Him except to say...just Him?
2) Life - Sounds like another typical answer, but I mean it from the bottom of my heart. I LOVE the life I have been given. So full of adventure, unknowns, but with a few key stabilities (to be named later). I love the joy that wells up within me when I ponder this abundant life I have been given...I just wish I would always remember that it is because of Christ, not just because.
3) Matt - Which aspect am I most thankful for now? His best friendship. His companionship. We have so much fun together, so much time together because of his schedule. It has been amazing to watch how quickly he has learned to be the husband that God wanted him to be for me. His patience is incredible. His humor keeps me laughing (or rolling my eyes). His love keeps me warm and fuzzy. He truly is an understanding and participating husband, something I need especially right now with being pregnant.
4) Family - My theme song this Christmas is "I'll Be Home for Christmas." Talk about joy overwhelming me! I can not WAIT to see all my family, including those who went to Little Rock from Arizona and Ohio. It seems the older I get, the more I love and appreciate my family. Perhaps it is different now because my own family is increasing by one. And it is fun to have those who've known me my whole life see me pregnant and with a handsome husband. We'll miss our Indiana family -- but part of becoming one is balancing two extended families! It's a little harder than we anticipated, but we are learning that wisdom with finances/time must outweigh emotions alone.
5) Church - I think we are going to start the membership process with GBC after the first of the year. We are SO thankful for the church. Solid teaching and a close-knit fellowship that has open arms is what makes you keep going in a place where lonliness COULD be all around. I am thankful that we are being fed meat every Sunday -- right now on prayer. I am thankful for the instant friendships God blessed us with the first Sunday we were here. Now if only we can do something about that 40 minute drive one-way.
6) Old Friends - In a life that is always changing stages and locations, I am thankful to have a few old friends to count on for unconditional love. I know I am blessed and consider it a rarity to have Rachel, Thea, and Julienne as life long friends. Rachel I've known since we were 3 or 4. Julienne since first grade, and Thea since seventh. That, in my opinion, is a LONG time in this day and age...esp with Rachel. I love how the four of us can still get together at the Coffee Beanery and chat it up like old times -- laughing and teasing with memories, bringing each other up to speed on the present, and dreaming of the future. Though we don't talk often and see each other even less often, to know that I've always got three anchors to my past and steadfast friends for the future is a feeling I will never stop being thankful for.
7) Provision - Back to God...He has provided more than we need to live a comfortable life here in California. A lesson in trusting Him, stepping forward, and then seeing Him do the work. We have a beautiful apartment with all the furniture we need, including Baby's. We have plenty of good clothes. We eat quite nicely for not as much as we feared -- we even had a steak/potato/broccoli treat last night! We have an excellent car, one that I'd wanted for years even. Insurance is good all around, especially the part where having a baby is virtually free! We can't wait to see how much more thankful we will be for Provision after the baby is here, and then when we move back to Maryland.
8) Talents and Skills - I am thankful for the talents and skills God has given both Matt and I. He is such a Renaissance man. He writes, draws, thrives on education, knows so much about technology, builds models, sings, plays sports (when given the chance), and can philosophise with the best of them. There really isn't much he CAN'T do, come to think of it. God has given me the ability to sew, cook, craft, find efficient ways to perform tasks, organize...things that deal with home and family. I think God knew what He was doing when He put a man with broad horizons with a woman of focused detail together -- Matt keeps us moving and broadens our canvas while I make sure each stroke is carefully taken, creating a beautiful masterpiece that will hopefully give glory to the One who chose the brushes and colors.
9) Technology - Not only does it provide my husband with education and a job, but I am thankful for technology because it keeps me connected. Who knew the day would come when a stay-at-home wife/mother would be kept "company" by people on the other side of a computer screen? Were it not for technology, I would have lost good contact with SO many friends and family over the years and even now. Days are lonely when I don't get to say hi to my mom, sister, and a few friends. How spoiled I am. Half-day with friends and family online, then the rest with Matt at home!
10) Until next post... You all will have to wait until tomorrow or Thursday for the 10th thing I am thankful for. Some of you may know, but I'll keep you guessing! ;-)

6 comments:
I agree with the old friends part. I wrote a comment here, but it turned REALLY long, so I'm emailing it to you instead. So check your email. : ) Love you.
I can't wait to hear the 10th thing!!! :) sitting on pins and needles with NO PREFERENCE either way!!!
Boy :) Oh, how I will kick myself and have to back peddle if it is a girl! I should never have told you I think it is a boy!!!
Email me soon!
So uh, when are you guys going to get a webcam so we can videoconference?
And tell Matt I miss beating him at AoE. And Tribes. And everything else.
I just heard the good news! Congratulations! Let me know when it's OK for me to announce this on my bolg and to everyone else I know:)
Dawn Esparza!!!!! I just found out that the pastor of GBC is one of my favorite wingmate's dad...and she met you over thanksgiving weekend. Aaah!! I love you...she was looking at my pics and was like, how do i know her? she's cute! and it made me smile oh so much!!! crystal is headed home for x-mas break...say hi to her for me, and she'll give you a hug for me!
Post a Comment