Monday, November 21, 2005

When It Becomes More Real

Do you ever see a big event on the horizon but not understand the full reality at first? Then something occurs, something visible, that brings reality full force? Well, that has happened for Matt and I. We put together the nursery furniture on Saturday! It was an all day task that brought a little frustration, a lot of humor at ill-written instructions, and a lot of contemplative baby thoughts. I've even caught Matt (as well as myself) sometimes walking back there to just look at the room. I think I have a eensy-teensy glimpse of why Mary "pondered in her heart."

We can now walk in the room and see the place where a baby will be laying in March. We can pretend we're picking up the baby, just to see how it will feel to bend over the crib. We can see the place where many dirty diapers will be changed...where many nights will be spent a few hours at a time nursing and rocking the baby. We know what kind of soft light will be cast by the light. I even did a little silly demonstration for Matt of what it will be like for me to drag myself out of our bed, pick the baby up, change it, sit in the "glider" and nurse it/rock it back to sleep, put it back in the crib, then crash in our own bed again. Good laughs together...but it is REALITY. So fun and WONDER-full at the same time.

We love the color of the wood. We also went with cherry, but I really think it would have been too dark for our taste. Notice both quilt options are hanging on the crib. Pray that we'll get to have a little removal ceremony on Nov 30th when we are to find out what gender the baby is! If it is a girl, we will use the lavender quilt and put butterflies on the walls. If it is a boy, we will use the khaki Noah's ark quilt and put a rainbow above the crib and other colorful designs on the other walls. We still need the crib mattress and glider as well as all the baby linens and goodies. But those will come in time. God has been so faithful to provide even this furniture by way of some very special people who have the gift of generosity. You know who you are. ;-)

Matt said that he thinks it is neat how we can relate what we have just done to what Christ said to the Apostles, "I go to prepare a place for you." We have just prepared a place for our baby, and now we just await the day when we will live together as a family of three. Just like we wait for the day when we all will live together with Christ in the place He's prepared for us!

















3 comments:

Jaclyn said...

I am so excited for you guys!!! I cannot wait to come meet the new Esparza :-) Getting the room set up truly causes reality to hit. When my mom was arranging the crib for Samuel it became so real for all of us!!! I think you will need to use the Noah one... but you already knew that ;-)

Indiana Mama said...

The furniture is absolutely wonderful. I loved seeing the finish product! I have my opinion on the quilt, too, but I will love the baby no matter what sex it turns out to be. I hope the baby will love daddy's teddy bear and Humphrey too! Don't you just love the way they write the instructions of how to put the items together? I am so happy for you both!

Autumn said...

great room, guys! if you happen to need the lavendar quilt, you will be blessed with an OVERabundance of darling little girl clothes!!! ;)

Powered By Blogger