Monday, January 28, 2008

Sooo Unlike Me

I rarely (if ever) post about politics and current issues. Well, I've got a few things to say.

~On Dark Chocolate~
One would be crazy to not like dark chocolate. It's full of antioxidants, desire, smoothness, passion, bittersweetness, and feel-good-juices. Please, if you are going to take a stance on chocolate, I'd rather you were hot or cold. Not lukewarm. ;-) Either like chocolate in all its wonderful varieties, or don't like chocolate. None of this loving milk chocolate but despising the dark varieties. I have recently reaquired the freedom to indulge in chocolate and have danced across the world one dark chocolate square at a time thanks to the Choxie dark chocolate sampler box and a special dark chocolate bar from Central Asia. Truly, truly a delicacy to be fully explored and enjoyed. Now, I shall step off my dark chocolate box...

~On the State of the Union Address~
If you want quick proof that we are a country divided by politics, just watch the State of the Union Address. It's frustrating to see the CLEAR dividing line between Democrats and Republicans. Often, all the Republicans stand to cheer on their same-party President while Democrats remain stoic and seated, some whispering to each other. Unless of course it comes to environmental issues. Then it's the Dems who stand first. ::sigh:: How difficult it would be to run a country. So many people with so many different views. When you think about it, Bush is really like a father trying to lead his own family -- he even has to present a budget! Even if you don't like him, respect him for taking on perhaps the most difficult, most criticized job in our country. And please, spare me any divisive comments.

~On a Bumper Sticker~
Last Saturday I did my grocery and Target shopping. It was just me out and about, hurrying along to get it done and get home. As I was leaving my car to walk into Target, I noticed a couple getting their baby out of the car next to me. They were kind of an older couple for having such a young child, both dressed professionally. It made me wonder how much they value having a child. Then I saw their bumper stickers. "93% of women regret their abortions." Hmm. An interesting and very believable fact. But it was the second one I read that immediately choked my throat, teared my eyes, and gripped my heart. One of those moments that you are totally not expecting to be so emotionally affected by such a profound, debated issue in our society. Even now as I think about typing it, it chokes me up again. It read:


Equal Rights for Unborn Women.


~On...well...this is difficult...~
And here's the part that is soooooo very unlike me. If you know me, you know that I do not stand for stupid humor. And my definition of stupid humor are things like Sponge Bob, Simpsons, Saturday Night Live, Monty Python, etc. Well, I now give you a link to a Saturday Night Live clip that I personally find 100% hilarious. And not only is it SNL, it is also political. Stupid humor about politics. Now there's something I've never endorsed! But please, take a moment to get at least a little giggle. It's clean, I promise. Parallel Universe: Al Gore, President of the United States, gives his State of the Union Address

Whew, ok now that that's over...


Our 12 month old...clothes that is. I feel like I JUST put these away!


Crazy Cute Judah...who is starting to say small sentences and whose new best friend is a little stool. He has discovered he can easily carry it around and reach more countertops, more things on countertops, furniture to climb higher on, and even the lid to the washing machine. I gotta say I kind of helped this discovery unknowingly because I have let him stand on it to help me cook this past week. I know, only 22 months old; but he is extremely good at helping me cook. Not once has he touched anything hot. I think he really understands when something will hurt him without having to be hurt by it first -- a blessing I hope continues throughout his life! And to hear him say oil and boil? Aww!

8 comments:

Paul said...

I remember a time in high school when you didn't like chocolate. How the mighty have fallen.

(Tell Matt it's been a month since my last Mountain Dew.)

Here's a link the the bumper sticker:

http://www.bumpertalk.com/bumpertalk/BA032A.html

Kathie said...

OH.MY.WORD!!! How hasome Judah looks in his white shirt and and argyle sweater. I love that pic!!! How many days till April?? Is 'Lijah still having problems with pinkeye?? I knew from the pics in the hospital he was getting bigger :)

Dawn said...

Paul - Wow, you're right. I totally forgot I used to not really like chocolate. The mighty have not fallen...they have realized the error of their old, primitive ways. ;-)

Momma - Elijah's pink eye is completely gone. Good thing, too, because we dried up the eye drops! And funny how some of our cutest pictures of the boys contain clothes that YOU gifted us with. ;-)

Kathie said...

it is because their momma picks them out and she has great taste :)

Gina said...

Karlyn used to have that bumper sticker back when she had her little red Honda Prelude.

And if the older couple waited as long for their child as Brad and I waited for ours, I'm sure they very much value their child.

Anonymous said...

You know...arranged marriages have worked for hundreds of years. Any thoughts on Elijah and Isabella? :) Seriously, though, your boys are super cute!

Alicia said...

there was a time when you didn't like chocolate!? hmm, i don't think i knew that one about you!

your boys are darling, and i cannot believe that that little boy there is the same baby that you had when we first re-connected. time really flies!

~Babychaser~ said...

I think I'm both encouraged and discouraged that I have so much time and so little time to wait until my little one can effectively use a stool. I suppose it means I don't have to worry about what I put on those higher surfaces... but how nice when he can stand up there and help. :)

Powered By Blogger