Many of you know the story, but some of you don't. It all started on Friday when I took Elijah to our pediatrician. He'd only had a low-grade fever and congestion for a day and a half, but I had a feeling I needed to take him to the doctor -- at least to rule out ear infection. Sure enough, he had a right ear infection. But what concerned Dr. L was the bulging soft spot. He sent us immediately to the pediatric ER for testing to rule out lots of things, including meningitis. So, a blood culture, chest x-ray, sinus suction, CT scan, and lumbar puncture (to get spinal fluid) later, he had the Adno virus and an ear infection. Praise God it was nothing else, but that was ALOT for Elijah to go through in only a few hours. The Adno virus causes the common cold in adults but is a little more complicated in babies because of their smaller size. There is also question as to whether or not he officially had/has mastoiditis, infection in the sinus cavity behind his ear. So they hooked him up to an IV dose of antibiotics. We were told to go back on Saturday for another blood culture and antibiotic dose.
Which we did. Before the nurses even came in to do the blood and IV, the doctor came in and said she had talked with an ENT (ear/nose/throat doctor) at Hopkins who suggested admitting Elijah for 2 days in order for him to receive 2 more doses of the antibiotic. ::shock:: Ok? Sunday, he was put on eye drops for pink eye. He also got a crazy rash from the Adno virus.
So that's how we spent our weekend. I missed my birthday. I missed my first ladies' retreat with our new church. But I had a wonderful time learning what it is to be the mom staying in a hospital with her young son. I did have a retreat in that I had lots of down time to just sit and relax, unable to do any housework and such. We received a quilt and an afghan from two very kind and generous groups who do that for the pediatric ward. And we are so thankful this happened over a federal holiday, so Matt only missed a few hours of work total.
The only question we have remaining is if Elijah truly had mastoiditis. If he did, we will follow up with an Ear/Nose/Throat doctor. If not, then we'll just follow-up with Dr. L who will probably put him on long-term antibiotics to prevent ear infections. Sound familar? Hint: Judah.
AND we got to experience more winter -- the high on Sunday was only 23. There is still snow all over the ground and piles of it in parking lots. How cool! Yeah, yeah, Jaclyn. Whatever.
AND last night, the inevitable happened. Judah tried to cut Elijah's hair. He managed to get a little chunk off the top center, but thankfully it's not apparent unless you know to look for it.
Here are some pics from our crazy weekend:
Cordless and ready to go home!

6 comments:
Aw, how sad. Poor little 'Lijah. What a trooper (and that goes for you and your son.) Glad to hear all is well. Get better soon everyone!
oh how I've waited for pictures!!! Sweet baby boy still smiling even through all the mess. He looks adorable in his hospital gown. How much has he grown? He looks sooo big especially in the first picture. I'm so grateful to the Lord for not allowing things to be worse than they were and for all the people who prayed for him. Patty Lou Dilaha and Brenda Lippig both have called to check on him :) Sweet body of Christ!
A lumbar puncture? That's a spinal tap! You don't just nonchalantly order those kinds of procedures on infants. They're about the most painful procedure known to man! Liz had one, so I've heard the story.
I would think that your doctor's a little quick on the draw. Thankfully Elijah's a bit little to remember the trauma, but I think your doctor's nuts!
Of course, IV antibiotics point to the Adno virus being pretty nasty, but IV antibiotics aren't exactly easy on one's system either...
It looks like you guys jumped to the top of my prayer list for the week!
(hug)
I am so glad that all is well with your little boy. He is so sweet to be so smiley and loving even while in pain. And boy does he look like Judah in some of those pictures! I hope you all can get your lives back to normal and that you can celebrate your bday anyways.
Love,
Alicia
Poor little guy! You can tell he really felt sick in some of those pictures. It's good to hear he's doing better. I'm sorry your birthday didn't go as planned. But you'll always have memories of that birthday!! :)
Post a Comment