Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Christmas Pictures

Well, we had a successful Christmas yesterday. Why "successful" you ask?

1) There was not 4 feet of snow like our last Christmas-time in Indiana.
2) Matt and I actually had gifts for each other that were unknown to the other and opened on the correct day (this rarely if ever happens).
3) Judah knew just what to do with his presents -- even playing with the gifts more than the packaging.

I'm not sure what Matt's opinion would be, but I have two favorite gifts. One was a Willow Tree figurine called "New Life." I have always loved the Willow Tree stuff, but Brenda never knew that. It is a very special gift to me, one that makes me feel peace and joy when I look at it.




But my most favorite gift has no price. It is a new heirloom for our family. It was an extremely thought out, worked out gift. Brenda noticed a particular comment I made on my blog from a while ago about a quilt Helen had given Judah.
I said that I liked it so much the thought had crossed my mind to add to it to make a quilt for our king sized bed so that his would be the center piece of our bed......Brenda told Grandma, and then in October, Grandma started this...
Shock & Awe. Priceless. A wonderful, relaxing Christmas. Judah's first. Yummy food. And might I say Matt and I are still on a roll with "new" Christmases. Here's how our Christmases have gone since marriage...

1st...marriage
2nd...pregnant
3rd...first child
(4th...we'll have two children)

And on a more serious spiritual note, I think this is the first Christmas I really lacked a whole lot of "Christmas spirit" and focus on Christ's birth. I don't know if it is because there was a lot of hubub surrounding this Christmas or if I am growing differently spiritually -- I'm feeling a change to more celebration in my heart with Easter rather than Christmas. But I do remind myself...He had to be born so that He could die. And that is why Christmas is so special.

5 comments:

Jaclyn said...

THANK YOU for posting pictures!!! I am sorry that it has taken me so long to do so... I wish I couold spend a holiday with you, but who knows if that will ever happen! :-) The quilt is AMAZING!!!! Did she do it all by hand? Ahh... I need to learn to quilt! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, dear family! I love and miss you!

Autumn said...

thanks for sharing pics... I'll do some soon!

Paul said...

Great post. I don't think I've ever seen "shock and awe" used in reference to a quilt.

As for a shift in personal significance from Christmas to Easter: I'm glad I'm not the only one. It's been that way for me since high school, with all the hubbub and noise around Christmas actually causing me to dread it. I'm sure that's an over-swing of the pendulum, but it is what it is. Easter means far more to me, and it doesn't seem to have been secularly spoiled. Yet.

I've said for the past few years that we think far too much alike. The older sister I always knew I never wanted, indeed! :)

Anonymous said...

Looks like you had a wonderful Christmas, Dawn! Thanks for sharing all the pics. The quilt is beautiful, what a special gift!

Anonymous said...

Wow! The quilt...amazing! What a priceless gift.

And I love Willow Tree too! Nolan gave me "Angel's Embrace" and I gave him "New Dad" for Christmas. Their sweet simplicity says so much.

Looks like Judah has a blast! The only thing that seemed to interest Trey was a stick-on bow. :)

So fun to see pictures! Thanks for sharing. :)

Powered By Blogger