Sunday, March 11, 2007

The First Birthday Week

Just so you know, this post took FOREVER to do...many much pictures to edit and upload. But I want to share and I know that you all want to see. All I'm sayin is you'd better enjoy! ;-)

What a busy week we had last week! My parents and little sister were able to come for the week of Judah's first birthday. First, here are some random picturse throughout the week...

Heavy Duty...





We tried to get some pics of his first birthday outfit (that I've had my eye on for a while!). He was much too active at the time to get a still shot, though. It's SO adorable on him! Blue/orange/white plaid button down with orange sweater vest and khakis. Mmm, he's a looker!





People pics...











The gorgeous spring time hills around here...



One GORGEOUS day, we took the time to do the 17 Mile Drive. We did the Drive when Matt's family was here, but it was foggy then. So it's nice to have seen the coast in both its seasons. Esparza fam, enjoy the pics -- I so wish you could have seen the coast in all it's glory! Matt didn't go with us this time because of class. :-( Take a look at God's creation...

























It was Judah's first birthday party...and our first time to be the parents to throw the kid's party. We kept it simple -- some finger foods and punch, cupcake cones, and presents at a local park/playground. Cupcake cones? Yep! Back of the Betty Crocker box. I've wanted to try them for months, so I saw this as the perfect opportunity. ALL you do is make regular cupcakes -- make the batter, put the liners in the muffin pan, fill each 2/3 full, then invert a cone on top of the batter, bake as directed. Peel off the paper once cool and ice! So basically it's just one EASY extra step to have cupcake cones rather than regular cupcakes. I made them the night before, and the cones softened over night which we all agree was tastier than a crunchy cone. Some of them, as you can see, got a little too soft. :-P Now the cone is so soft I just eat the cake out of it. And, you'll note the improper spelling. When you have two cupcakes in a row with a Y on them, be careful not to put a Y on the third! I did fix it and it looked totally fine...we just forgot to take a pic of the real finished product! Sorry, Judah! And he loves balloons! Especially when someone flies him like a superhero through the air to dive bomb them. :-)









The turn out was great, more than we thought. Key families from Hollister that have meant alot to us in our journey with Judah, two neighbor families from our apartment building, and two college buddies all came. The weather was gorgeous despite some gusty wind. Judah, however, was battling allergies. Poor little guy! (We took him to the doctor on Friday because we feared impending ear infection, but it turns out he's showing signs of allergies. No surprise there -- he just keeps following his Momma's footsteps.) He seemed pretty laid back and quiet for almost the whole time with red, watery eyes and a runny nose...but when he opened his presents, the Judah we know started reappearing. He got some really adorable clothes, stuffed animals (including a Sneetch!), a book, and some musical instruments. He LOVES the instruments, especially the alligator xylophone.

Did he get to blow out a birthday candle? Nope. We couldn't even get the lighter to stay lit because of the wind. No amount of people barrier would block it either. So oh well. He'll have plenty more candles to blow out in the years to come!



























After the party, my dad treated us and our two college buddies to dinner at Chevy's...there was no way my mom and I were gonna cook after doing the party. :-) So Judah Gabriel Esparza's first birthday dinner was at a Mexican restaurant. I guess that's kind of appropriate. ;-) Not that he tasted anything except the tortilla...he had roast beef and veggies from home.

It's so odd to say "our little 1 year old" now! AND...he now gets to face forward in his brand new carseat from us! Woo hoo! We can not thank God enough for the joy that Judah is!

8 comments:

Kathie said...

Great post, Dawn. I enjoyed reading it, even though I was there for all the events :) It still cracks me up that he wasn't to crazy about the cake and wanted to suck his thumb instead :D It was a great trip.

Jason and Jodee said...

Looks like a heap of fun. And a mess :). Just cause I'm curious, college buddies from Masters?

Autumn said...

sorry I couldn't have been there, but thanks for letting me live vicariously through the pics! you look a bit older... and SO DOES HOPE!!!

Alicia said...

I DID enjoy your post, thanks for taking the time to share. Happy Happy Birthday, Judah! Fun cupcake idea, and the whole "Y" mistake was totally something I would have done too!
You are looking FABULOUS by the way!

Jaclyn said...

Thank you for taking the time to post all of the pictures... I KNOW how long it takes! :-)

I cannot believe he is one already and that baby two is on "its" way! What a joyous time!

We have made those cupcake cones before... it is funny that yours went soggy. Move to Colorado and they will stay crisp! ;-)

Love you SO much!

gunteraf said...

Judah is so cute! I have to tell you that Ellie thought Judah was pretty cute too. She was sitting on my lap when I was looking at your post and she squealed and wanted to see more pics of him. (possible arranged marriage :) just joking)

Lola said...

oh, Maligayang Bati to my only little "nephew" in the world. Tell him his Tita loves him. Alyssa (terra's) just had her first birthday and wouldn't play in her individualized cake. It scared her!

Oh, and my brother's engaged! Finally.

Love you.

Autumn said...

Congrats to Jhosh!!!

oh and Dawn, I forgot to tell you... sooo many times when I type "Judah" I accidentally type "Juday" ...don't know why but I thought it'd make you feel better :)

Powered By Blogger