Thursday, March 15, 2007

1 Yr. Check-up Stats

Height: 29 1/4" (50th percentile)
Weight: 20 lb 15 oz (25th percentile...a step up from last time)
Head: 48.9 cm (100th percentile!!! but the doc says that's still fine, so no worries)

We starting to see if we can transition to whole cow's milk. Two hurdles: 1) Judah prefers room temperature beverages, 2) Will he be allergic intestinally? We know that dairy makes him get a little rashy around his mouth, but Dr. C said that's ok as long as it doesn't get hive-ish or angry looking. He also told us to rub some on his forearm to see what it would do...nothing. So that's good. I'm guessing it will take at least a few days. He didn't like formula at first, and now he loves it. If the cow's milk ends up being a no go, Dr. C said soy milk is fine. ANYTHING but the $23 canister-a-week of formula will be great!

Dr. C said NOT to stop paci/thumb sucking right now due to a new baby coming and the move in Sept. I'm totally fine with that one! One less change to worry about right now!

He got three thigh shots and a TB test in the arm...and Matt couldn't go to the appt. with us. Judah didn't even flinch at the TB test. He looked at it with curiosity instead. However...the shots were another story. But he recovered quickly. The poor nurse. I said "uh-oh" in a playful voice when she walked in, and she said she always hears that. She made another sad comment when she was leaving, and I said he'll thank her for it when he is older. It must stink to always make kids cry but know that it's for their own good. :-P

As a side note, Dr. C always makes it a point to ask how I am doing with the new pregnancy and such. I told him it was overwhelming to have a son turning 1 and be in my fifth month of pregnancy. He said his mom-in-law once told his wife "If one takes up all your time, two can't." True! He said he knows a woman who has 5 kids under the age of 1...triplets the first time, twins the second. Her OB claims she "got pregnant in the car on the way home." Praise the LORD He did not choose that plan for us! Dr. C at some point when we were discussing the next baby said "Now, you two have figured out how this [making babies] works, right?" with a funny sparkle in his eye. I assured him we did.

Finally, Judah's left ear is perfectly normal and Dr. C said he was very pleased with that. His right ear, however, still has some fluid in it. So, we'll be staying on the antibiotic until sometime between April 15-30 whenever we choose to stop it. Not too bad I guess. At least there's a stopping point in view now. Let's just pray the ear infections don't come back!

I wish I could video Judah all day long -- he is changing so rapidly intellectually! Smarter, more independent, able to make choices, starting to self-feed more, figuring out how more things work, communicating his wants with babble and gestures, more openly disobeying >:-, and so much more. It's amazing to watch! To think, we all started out this way! It's odd to think that someday I'll have a teenage son sitting at my table eating his own dinner while I eat mine and talking to me about all he did that day when I was not with him. :-)

Also, pics to come of his first OFFICIAL hair cut. Hailey got a salon cut yesterday for the first time, and I mentioned to Aut that I've been wanting to cut (not just trim) Judah's hair, esp. the cowlick area, but have been too nervous since his hair is still so thin/fine. But, before his bathtime last night, the courage came. I just did it. And I say I did a pretty good job considering it was a 1 year old sitting on his daddy's lap waiting to take a bath and hair that is fine and silky. I was able to blend most of it quite well, which was a relief. No more natural baby do! He's a clean cut kid now. :-D

5 comments:

Jaclyn said...

You make me smile. :-)

Dawn said...

Why? You think it's silly that I post updates like this?

The G's said...

Forgive this non-mommy question, but what does 100th percentile mean? I would have thought it is like he is in the most populated percentile. Does that mean that 25th percentile is really good? Is it like golf, the less points the better?

Jaclyn said...

I love your updates because I feel like I am right there with you. When you give info like this you write how you talk and I can almost year your voice!

Speaking of which, I NEED to hear your voice!

Autumn said...

This was actually Hailey's 2nd salon cut. no biggie.

And she looks sooo cute..I keep staring at her. I am not used to her new look. It looks quite a bit shorter on humid days.

Powered By Blogger