Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Rainy Season

There are two seasons here in this part of California: dry and rainy. We've officially been ushered into rainy season. While in it for a few weeks, only this past week has it rained regularly. THANKFULLY it's not anything like last year's fluke rainy season where it rained all day every day for weeks on end. It seems to be cloudy/rainy until about 10:00am, sunny, then cloudy rainy from 3:00pm into the evening. And it's chilly and windy! Last night, I got to drive through the lovely wetness to Bible study in Hollister. When I left the Achilles house, the car said it was 52 degrees outside. Within 5-10 minutes of driving, it was 39 degrees and I was coming into HEAVY rain. I knew something was brewing. When I got home, I found out it had hailed here in Salinas -- the flower beds were white with it and the flowers near our stairs were all ripped off (and they smell like skunk when they are broken). When I woke up this morning, I looked out our sunrise window to see the mountains covered in snow. It was gorgeous! I'm glad I got a good pic...I had to zoom in WAY far!





I also snapped a pic this afternoon of what the rain clouds look like when they are approaching. It's so odd to see something like this and have NO FEAR whatsoever of what it holds like you do in the south. No cloud-to-ground lightning. No keeping an eye out for funnel clouds or discoloration. No thunder to listen for. Just lingering sunshine on the patio and the knowledge that rain is coming eventually. It's gonna be a major adjustment back to storm country when we move to MD. At least with earthquakes, you can't see them coming like you can a bad storm. :-P Ignorance is bliss right? Yes, Paul, I know preparation is still important...::rolls eyes::


8 comments:

Jaclyn said...

Oooooo... I love dark, forboding rain clouds like that! It looks like you could prick it with a neddle and it would burst!

Thanks for sharing! :-)

Jaclyn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jaclyn said...

Why does it always post my comments twice? Blah.

Alicia said...

Hi Dawn,
Its rainy season down here too. Last week we had this big conference and enticed people to come to sunny So Cal in the middle of the winter, and what did it do? Rained. Oh well.

It looks like you guys live in a really nice apartment complex -- very pretty (and Californian).

Love,
Alicia

Anonymous said...

Funny...It hailed here yesterday too! Complete opposite sides of the States...:)

Andrew Vogel said...

Sad to hear I missed it again! I'm dying to get up into the hills the next time we get snow. Heres to hoping it won't be this next weekend!

Autumn said...

hey now, don't be a stranger just because you have guests! I want photos, too! how ya feelin?

Jason and Jodee said...

Are you feeling okay?? I actually put another post on our blog before you did...something must be wrong :).

Powered By Blogger