Well, while Matt had an interesting morning on the phone with Dell, I was having my own interesting morning with my OB/GYN, Dr. G. Last weekend at the retreat, I was discussing with another woman the kind of doc I had -- professional, knowledgeable, legal-minded. At the end of the conversation, she said, "He probably does abortions." Since then, I've wondered about it, even in the wee hours of the morning. So I called his office yesterday to check when my next appt was (which was today) and to ask if he did abortions. The receptionist said no, he didn't. Whew! But then I wondered, "Well, WHY doesn't he do them..."
So I asked him at my appt today. The appointment was 45 mintues long -- 10 minutes of which was just the check-up part. The rest was all abortion/religious conversationr. I wasn't expecting that from him, a doc who is more professional than relational. Here are some points I remember from our long, almost-one-sided conversation:
~He only does abortions (which he calls DNC's because it is the same procedure, he says) if there is a medical reason that necessitates it, such as the mother's health can not successfully maintain a pregnancy. He never does abortions for those that call up and just want one. Because I myself have never faced and am unsure what I would do in a "medical necessity" situation, I don't feel a need to switch doctors. I am truly grateful he does not do abortions for just anyone.
~He is a reformed Jew, thought we were Catholic, but now knows we are Christians. He knows much about Judaism, Catholocism, Christianity, and Islam -- he spoke about each one with firm opinions about various aspects.
~He firmly believes that you can not push your beliefs on anyone else; and if you do, they should have the right to push their beliefs on you. He thinks one should be all or nothing -- follow the Law to a T or accept everyone. He accepts everyone.
~He is the one that brought up Jesus! That shocked me, but he did it immediately after I said I was a Christian. He thinks that the story of Jesus is a nice one. Does he think it's true? Probably, he said. But Jesus was just a nice man. Some things he told me I believe were that Christ is the Messiah, resurrected from the dead, took care of sin with His death so the Father would forgive sins, that God is one person with three different names/jobs. He knows the answers. He just doesn't belive them. It's fine that I believe them. It's fine that he doesn't believe them. If only he knew the truth!
~He outright said the Bible is a shady, seedy book because it is full of rapes, incest, gore, etc. And it was all accepted. "Accepted by whom?" I asked. Society I think was his answer. I was looking for if he thought God accepted those actions, but he too quickly moved the conversation on (he is good at talking alot and talking quickly). He brought abortion back into the conversation by asking what I would do if I was horribly raped, would I keep the baby? I immediately said yes because of what I believe. He didn't seem to believe that I was so firm in my answer and basically said he is fine with abortions if it is something like rape, incest, no means to care for the child, or medical necessity.
~At one point, he said he goes to an "interfaith Bible study" on Wed nights at 6:00 in the Temple which we are "more than welcome to come to." He said recently they discussed what would happen if evidence came out that could disprove Christ's resurrection 100%. He asked me what would I do? LORD, HELP ME! What a heavy question! So I said, after some thought, that I wasn't sure it would change anything. He said that's the conclusion they came to -- that Christians wouldn't believe any differently because Christ is such a nice story to hold on to and that's fine. I told him that I do believe some would lose hope because our hope is found in Christ...not tacking on that I thought that because some have a weaker faith than others. I had to be careful what I said because, as you've seen, he's the kind of person that is easily egged on and won't listen to what you have to say because he's already set in his beliefs -- especially the one about not pushing your beliefs on others. Hmm, but by him saying over and over that we need to accept everyone and not push our beliefs -- isn't that pushing his beliefs??
~I flat out asked him if he believes life begins at conception...."No." So when do you think it begins? "Well, when is it viable? If you were to have your baby right now, would it live?" No. ::puts hands up as a "Well, there you go."::
And those are only the major points of our discussion! I did not say much for three reasons: 1) I didn't know how to answer some of his statements, 2) He wouldn't have heard what I did have to say, 3) It was hard to get a word in edge-wise. I dearly pray he doesn't think I was being convinced or agreeing because of my conversational head nods and "mm-hmm's." It was my very first time alone in a room with someone like that. A good analogy of how I felt was a flower in a thunderstorm. Delicate, young, still budding as far as evangelism. He the "experienced," older man blinded by Satan's flashes and deafened by the world's beliefs.
At least I know my Root will hold and sustain me -- and storms do not last forever. The Sun always shines afterward.
So now I have a new person to pray for, and can do so specifically now that I've had such a good conversation with him. I do feel "better" about our relationship because we know exactly where each other stands. Granted, we are very different in our beliefs (though he tried to explain why they are really the same). But knowing more about his personal life/beliefs makes him more of a person rather than just a professional. And, come to think of it, now I know WHY he is so professional -- it stems from his beliefs. If he can't push his morals on anyone, he won't push anything; thus leaving him 99% professional, 1% relational.
Pray for him. Pray for me. Like my mom said -- maybe he'll be watching more closely.

6 comments:
Wow, Dawn! Even if nothing more comes of this what an opportunity! Praying that the Lord uses the time you spent talking (listening) to him would point him to the Light of Christ!
Hi Dawn,
Thanks for that post. It certainly got me thinking. Nathaniel and I were talking about what we would do in your situation -- or what we would do if we found out that our doctor did do abortions. You were very brave to be so upfront about it. You never know what kind of seed was planted (even though it feels like the doctor did the gardening). We will also be praying about your future contact with him. You go girl! :)
In my experience, medically necessary was the heartbeat had stop at approx. 10- 12wks but my body did not pass the remains. After waiting for another 4 wks, it was decided to do a DNC. Which the drs and nurses all call an abortion. That was a tough summer.
Sheepmom
Medically necessary DNCs many times refer to ectopic pregnancies, especially tubal, where the mother will die if it continues to grow, and the baby will die along with the mother.
Hi Dawn!
I am so proud of you and very excited for the opportunity God gave you. You never know when He will ask us to share His truth. It can be so hard to get the ball rolling, but God gave you such a neat subject to start with. That is so like Him!!!!
Wow that's amazing. Thanks for having the courage to engage in that conversation--I think a lot of Christians would have panicked at the level of his head knowledge and tried to skip the conversation. People like that are so difficult to deal with, because they "know it all" and don't need to hear another 'opinion'. I will indeed be praying for you and him... May his eyes be opened to The Life as he cares for yours and the baby's. It will be so exciting to see the plans God has for exclaiming His glory even through the life of your baby. Further proof He can use annnn-y-one in His kingdom-building... even one yet without a voice. I'll be excited to see what He has in store for the future if this is just the beginning!
Post a Comment