Ok, I was commenting on one of Ben's blogs (worship blogs at left), and decided that I wanted to POST my comment. It has been one of the deepest ponderings of my heart lately. Why? Because Chris Tomlin's song "How Great Is Our God" has been number 1 on the charts for several weeks. Here's my comment...
I'm excited too about Chris Tomlin's success [5 Dove awards]. "How Great is Our God" is kind of Judah's song from my perspective. Why? Let me take a moment to write a book in your comments.
July 1, 2005 (the day before our 1st anniversary). We found out we were blessed with child -- the sudden beginning of a new life. Exactly one week later (the day before I left for Guatemala), we found out our dear friend Bethany along with her sister and parents were killed in a tragic car/semitruck accident leaving our dear friend Matt as the only one left in his family -- the sudden end of life. Around that time was when we first started hearing this song, which includs "Beginning and the End" in its lyrics. I can NOT get through that part without choking up. My thoughts are "Beginning...Judah's life...and the End...Bethany's home going." And now when I am holding Judah and hear or sing that song...when I arrive at that line...THAT is the moment that I cherish Judah most fiercely in my heart. Because he truly was a sudden gift and life is but a vapor. I can't tell you how many times I pondered choosing "Bethany Grace" as a girl's name if we had a girl. ::getting teary now even::
Then later in the song it says "Lion and the Lamb." Well. Jaclyn pointed out that Rachel means lamb, a name she wants for one of her daughters Lord willing. So we've got Judah and Rachel, Lion and Lamb. :-)
And the whole theme of the song. Proclaiming God's greatness! What does Judah Gabriel mean? "Praised Hero of God." That is our prayer for Judah. That he would be a hero of God, one that others can't help but see him and be pointed to his Creator. That Judah would cause others to sing with him of how great our God is!
Yep. It's Judah's song.

4 comments:
cool...I love the significance of names!
Let me get in the mood and play the song. ::rushing to CD player:: There. I smiled through this whole post... almost getting teary too. This song is one of our favorites for similar reasons as yours. As you well know, we have had our fair share of trials this last year. ;-) Whenever that song comes on the radio or we play the CD we blast that song and sing! How great is our God, sing with me! God is Great.. He holds all, He knows all and He loves all. I love it when it says "and time is in His hands" right before your favorite part. Everything, absolutely everything, both joy and pain, comes from the hand of God. Times, MY times, are in His hands.
I went "awwww" when I read about Judah and Rachel. I think it would be awesome to have my first born a girl named Rachel. Our first children would be "Lion and the Lamb." Then they could play this song at their wedding! :-P
Thank you for sharing your thoughts... it is amazing how much songs influence, comfort and restore. Much love to you and Judah! Matt too! :-) (SIX weeks and counting until I see your face... I should put a tickler on my blog :-P )
I'm sitting here with goosebumps :) and a little teary. Oh to think what the last few months have wrought. We do serve a great God.
Dawn, I love the name Bethany Grace!! And Judah is betrothed before his beloved is even born??!! :D I think it is great
Kathie... It is something Dawn and I teased about when they found out "the baby" was a boy they were going to name Judah! I do not think they would ever get married... I'll probably have 10 boys, but it is fun to laugh about the "Lion and the Lamb." :-)
Post a Comment