Welllll....we are here in Salinas now! We got here on Wednesday around 12:30 pm, with move-in at 2:00. We walk into the leasing office to find Christy (a very nice, fun lady and very helpful) suprised to see us. We asked if we could still move-in even though we were early. She said, "Well, if you were a couple hours early it wouldn't be a problem. But you are two days early." WHAT? we were thinking. Turns out, everywhere in our paperwork she had written the 21st at 2:00 which was Wednesday, but human error had her write the 24th (Saturday) on her calendar. So she knocked off a couple days of our rent payment and we have stayed in a hotel the past two nights, set to move in today at 11:00 am. Horrible you think? Nah. Not really. The reason the apartment wasn't ready is because they installed all new vinyl and carpeting over the past two days and are scouring it this morning. Two days is SO worth it to have two years of really nice floors. I'm totally gonna post a picture of the vinyl when I get a chance...you'd think it was stone. You'd swear it was stone, feel it with your bare foot, and wonder why there wasn't a pronounced grout line. The old vinyl would have been just your typical white tile look. God is good and we are willing to wait for what is better!
In the meantime, Matt has started his check-in/registration process with NPS (the graduate school). Hopefully things will move very quickly since classes start on Monday. He has all of his books save one, which he is getting this morning while doing a few more things at NPS. Priority right now is paperwork so we can get paid and not let our insurance drop. Please pray that everything will turn over quickly. Our insurance from Union drops Sept. 30th which is not very long from now. And I really should get to an ob/gyn for my first check-up which will end up also being my half-way check-up. :-P
Just found out my friend who lives an hour from here is having a boy. That just makes me giddy all over! So does the weather here...if anyone comes to visit, pack warmish clothes!!! You'd be chilly in shorts. I was even chilly in cords and a 3/4 sleeve shirt and undershirt yesterday. Salinas is a little warmer than Monterey (25 miles to the coast), but there is always a cool breeze. ::evil grin when thinking about the hot humidity we escaped::
Ok, I need to get moving and pack up our hotel room. We basically moved in...house plant, desktop computer, nonperishable food items, and the clothes we packed. So I need to get it all ready to go save the computer so we can pack the car quickly when Matt gets back from NPS and then move-in to our new home! It's still very weird for both of us to think that we are residents of California now...until Sept. 2007 when he graduates. And that we'll have a 1 1/2 year old by the time we move to Maryland.......................

2 comments:
Woohoo! I'm thrilled for you guys. Just let us know when we can do something to help.
-Paul "Love Fist Ruined My Life" Simer
I keep thinking you guys are just on vacation...but I'm glad you made it OK.
Post a Comment