Saturday, November 18, 2006

The Cuteness

The other night we were finishing up Judah's bath. The last thing we do is wash his bottom half while he stands in the tub (Matt holding him of course). We were about to lift him out and dry him off when he put one leg up on the side of the tub...and peed on his leg. Do puppies pee on their legs too? Or is this a learned thing to raise a leg and NOT pee on your leg? :-P

Judah is proficient at waving hi/bye and giving kisses. He has to be in certain positions though.

He enjoys water now and is drinking more every few days. He loves his sippie cup -- especially to gnaw on. Next step: learn to tip it up by himself to actually get something out.

I broke down and bought the boy some adorable tennis shoes I've been eyeing for months.

He gets around everywhere now...he can drag himself (still working on all fours crawling) down the hallway and back in a few minutes. Granted, he moves in a zig zag pattern because he uses one leg to push off, reaches a wall, then uses the other leg to push off to redirect himself. This means he can more quickly disappear. I fear how fast he will be when he can really crawl!

I've started making his baby food and freezing it in ice cube trays. TOTALLY the way to go, moms out there. Get the KidCo electric food mill. Talk about awesome! Corn has been his most recent new food. Next up: mango and chicken.

Last night we went to a party where there was a 10.5 month old girl Amelia. Every time she'd babble at him or throw a look his way, he'd whimper pitifully and have the cutest little sad face. He eventually got used to her...and then was all smiles when she left the party. Wonder how next week will go when there are multitudes of children. :-}

Tooth #2 is through. He's got his two front teeth for Chistmas. He's taken to biting while nursing. Ouch. I'll leave it at that.

We think he thinks discipline is a game, smiling and even sometimes laughing at no and firm squeezes or pats. Lord, please help us figure him out QUICKLY!

Have any other 8 month old babies been able to focus on a single strand of brown hair and pick it up to play with it? Judah does it all the time and it doesn't seem like that's normal for a young baby. He can even find single hairs on a dark background. Maybe the orange nose comes with superb eye sight. ;-)

He still kicks his high chair tray repeatedly though he has bruises on the tops of both feet. Maybe we should put his new shoes on him everytime we feed him for protection from himself.

He adores being read to and his favorite song is a numbers song we learned from a kid DVD Diane has. If I sing that song, he'll sit quietly while I even trim his nails! It's the wonder song!

He is just a bundle of joy -- Growing more every day physically and intellectually. It is so fascinating to watch a human being develop the connection between knowledge and action. "I want to go there, so I will do this to get there." "I heard no, so I'll stop long enough to acknowledge but don't intend to really obey." "I want the cell phone. I have the cell phone. I want to touch the buttons which are hidden. So I shall squeeze the life out of the thing." "I see momma has another spoonful ready, so I will open my mouth to let her know I'm ready." Simply amazing! And to think...we all started out this way!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, the wonder of it all! It's so fun to hear about Judah! And know that I have the same delights and challenges :) to look forward to in the near future. Motherhood is a blessing (even when I don't like or understand certain aspects!). Thanks for sharing Judah's life with us!

Autumn said...

hurry up and get here already!

Anonymous said...

If it makes you feel better, babies cannot respond to punishment at that age. He knows what "no" is but cannot link it with behavior. Discipline does not even really work until about 3 years old. Until then, redirection and removing the object works better. While some operant conditioning is possible, it is very base.

Ask me for the "milestones" survey I got and I'll make you a copy.

Love you, see you soon

Dawn said...

No, it doesn't make me feel better because I disagree 100%. Judah totally knows what no means, as does a 2 year old we spend alot of time with and a friend's baby who is only a month older than Judah. We have recently tried a new technique of discipline (thanks Momma!) that seems to be getting our point across, which includes communication and eye contact. It sounds like your info came from a text book or lecture. While I do agree with much of what medical science has discovered about babies, I think they have it all wrong in the "when and how to discipline" area. They leave out the number one issue: we are sinners from birth in need of a Savior. You should check out Shepherding a Child's Heart by Tedd Tripp to add to your pediatric knowledge. It's a great book!

Powered By Blogger