Friday, July 29, 2011

T.G.I.F.

One afternoon, I let the boys lay in my bed for nap time because it was thunderstorming. There was a spider web in our window with a spider in the middle. It had captured lunch and was tending to it. So we watched it as we lay there listening to the storm. After a little while, Elijah (who is pretty much paralized by thunder) softly asked Judah, "Should we pray to not be afraid?" Judah said he didn't know, so I said that one can pray anytime they need to. I asked Elijah if he'd like to pray, and he said he did. In the sweetest little boy voice, "Dear God, please help mommy and daddy. And please help me not to be afraid of the thunder and lightning. And please, Lord, help the spider and his food to be safe from the rain and thunder." It was just too cute with a sweet edge of compassion.

As I was making breakfast-for-dinner, I asked the boys if they enjoyed seeing the chickens some friends from church had. I asked them if they thought it was cool that our friends could just go out in their backyard and get fresh eggs.

Judah: To do what with them?
Me: To cook them and eat them, of course! So yummy!
Elijah: NO! Then they wouldn't be baby chickens!
Me: Aww, well, Elijah, those eggs are eggs to eat, not grow into baby chickens. You have to have a daddy chicken to have baby chickens.
Judah: Hmm, that's different. I know that mommy grown-ups have babies; but with chickens, it's the daddies that have the babies.
Me: (Oh dear.) Well, no, you have to have a daddy chicken and a mommy chicken to have baby chickens. Just like you have to have a mommy and a daddy to have a baby. (And we'll end it there for now!)

While eating Spanish rice with dinner, Judah asked, "Will it turn us to speaking Spanish?"

2 comments:

besnini said...

Love these.... Elijah, such a heart of compassion... Nini would be up taking care of the spider and his lunch :)
And--boy did you avoid a conversation that could have gone on for a while :) Glad the boys are learning where their food really comes from :)

Jenna said...

Laughing about the chickens! This past year a good portion of our friends at church were having babies (including me). Trey was pretty puzzled by the fact that all of his friends mommies were pregnant and ever-so innocently asked "where do you go to get pregnant?" Just like you'd ask "where do you go to get bananas?" Eek! I kind of skipped over that question. :)

Powered By Blogger