Monday, June 18, 2007

MD2: Observations and Updates

Paul, we're shipping the car. No way we're taking that long of a drive with a 1.5 year old and newborn. It'd take a week! And we don't want to put the country on our car in the form of miles.

People live the single sink life here. So strange.

"European" style cabinets are in vogue here, the wood grain borders with white painted faces. Eww.

Some complexes apparently don't feel the need to update appliances as soon as they can. We saw one yesterday, built 16 years ago. Remember how stoves used to be a tan color and had that weird dial clock on the back? ::shiver:: Ancient.

How quickly I forgot it can be so humid you can SEE it not only in the distance, but in your direct vicinity. Oh my gosh. Praise You, Lord, for allowing me to spend my two pregnancies NOT here or in the South!

Don't judge an apartment by its exterior. We found a complex today that was kinda dingy on the outside until you found the leasing office which had all new paint and siding. We came to learn that they are refurbishing a building a month...and WOAH! The inside of the redone apartment is INCREDIBLE and the outside is very nice looking. And it even had a double sink, stainless/black kitchen appliances, granite-like counter, the nice WOOD blinds, track lighting, framed mirrors in the bathrooms, and I could go on. The other one I have been waiting months to see since I found it online did NOT disappoint! Gorgeous hardwoods in the entry and kitchen, granite-like counters, LOTS of counter/drawer/cabinet space, huge closets, modern-classic light fixtures, open layout, professional staff (as opposed to some very UNprofessional run-ins). Two very good options!

Sometimes it's worth having one story and being attached to multiple people rather than having two stories and one attached neighbor (duplex). We thought we wanted a duplex, but after seeing some of the newer apartments vs. the older duplexes... We already have 3 definite no's (including the duplex we were looking at), 1 back-up, and 2 great possibilities.

Even the farthest city we've looked in will only be 20 minutes away from work/church. ::Sigh of Relief::

Matt's first morning-of-interviews went really well! He had three, and apparently all is as promised. He gets to basically pick which job he wants -- very cool! They all want Matt on board with their teams, and they all sound very interesting. Especially one in particular that I have a feeling Matt will take unless an even better opportunity presents itself in the two interviews tomorrow morning. And, yes, we have now arrived at an even more official point of my husband not being able to tell me all that he will do. And these were just interviews. :-P

We're at a half-way schedule with Judah. Not quite MD time, but a little beyond CA time. Today has worked much better! And we found out the breakfast area of our hotel has a high chair! That'll make meals here much easier than trying to dine on our beds.

Let me preface this last update by admitting I realize it is dumb. :-P But a gas station attendant I purchased much needed water from made my day today. She was an African American, about my age. She asked when I was due, and I said July 31st. Know what she immediately said? Now, mind you, up to this point, EVERYONE who hears my due date remarks at how I don't look that far along, I'm small, I look more like 6 months, etc., when here I sit feeling like my belly is huge and I'm about to pop. Just yesterday, I wondered aloud to Matt if ANYONE looked at me and thought I was nearing my due date. So this girl says to me (think ebonic accent), "July 31st? You look like you're ready, for sure!" I profusely and sillyishly thanked her and explained why she made my day. She said, "I mean, I don't wanna say you're big or anything, but you definitely look ready!" She then told me I looked like maybe I'd even dropped a little -- which I TOTALLY wondered to myself this morning!!! A wonderful encounter, to be sure. I like her. :-)

Ok, I need to wake up my sleeping handsomes. It's dinner and find-a-laundry-mat time...at 7:15. It's weird to think we're 3 hours ahead of home, but even weirder is that we're an hour AHEAD of everyone we know and love rather than two hours behind them! (Except you, Denise...) Love to all and thank you for your prayers!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for thinking of me - and yes, you should feel sorry for me because I had Noah in the middle of July...in Georgia! It doesn't get more humid than this. :) But, God's good and he provides swimming pools! I'm so glad your scouting is going well, and I'm pleased that the gas station lady recognized your "tummy development"...I had Noah at 32 weeks and felt like I was going to pop, though everyone else said I was so small - talk about frustrating! Anyway, I'll keep praying for you guys as you make plans for moving back East (yippee!).

Anonymous said...

Glad it is going well. Thanks for the tips to check your blog for the details. As news go, have you heard Brad's? Mandy

Anonymous said...

Geography note: MD is technically in the South, although usually considered a Mid-Atlantic state.

Sorry. I just had to say that. I enjoyed the rest of your post. Thanks for the updates!

~Babychaser~ said...

me too me too... I love having people in my time zone! Can't wait till you get here! I tried commenting yesterday but it wouldn't let me... stupid technology:). The east coast is sure different than the west. It is fun to read your reviews. :) I've been living them for 2.5 years now. :)

Deja

Alicia said...

I am impressed that you are even able to process on "paper" all that you are taking in right now! It sounds like a great place to move, and thankfully everything, especially Matt's job is falling into place. I admit I had twinges of jealousy at how wonderful your potential apartments sound, sigh, CA does not know how to make wonderfully functional apartments (within reasonable price ranges). Do these new ones have an actual entry way or do you walk right into the living room like the ones out here? And hardwood floors!? Wow. Can't wait to hear more updates. Good luck as you continue searching!!
Oh, you didn't say much about the church...how was it? Did you feel at home/in line with it? Was it as great as you had hoped for?

Powered By Blogger