I've had some encouragement the past couple days that have helped me not feel so tired of being pregnant...
1) A message we listened to by John Piper reminded me that God created us with physical bodies so that we can use our bodies to bring Him glory. How does my body do that? By displaying the awesome wonder of the process of building and carrying new life! Pregnancy is MUCH more enjoyable to look at from that perspective rather than focusing on the discomforts.
2) I've realized that Matt hasn't really felt my belly as much as he did with Judah. We talked about it, and the reason is legit -- this is the second pregnancy and it is VERY routine and predictable in that we even know the day Elijah will arrive (from a human standpoint). That's not to say it's not just as special as the Judah pregnancy, just not "new." Make sense? He did say he will make an effort to take time to "be pregnant with me," as I requested. I think that will really help my attitude and emotional strength to finish well -- to not feel like I'm just a pregnant woman, but a wife carrying a second son. :-)
3) I had a good conversation with our pastor last night after his continued series on prayer, asking if it's ok to ask God for His help in NOT getting pregnant for a few years (in reference to selfish praying). Such a good conversation that would take too long to blog out! Matt and I spent the whole drive home from church (a lovely 40 minutes) talking deeply about waiting to have more kids, the motives behind that, etc. in response to all Jim had said to me. I think one thing Matt brought up helped release alot of my struggle/guilt in not wanting to be pregnant for a while (to many reasons to delve into). God told Adam and Eve to be fruitful and multiply -- one point that brings me guilt in wanting to take a good break from child bearing. BUT...God didn't specify and say "Be fruitful and multiply by having as many kids as you physically can." We have had two kids, and therefore we have already obeyed God's command! What an epiphone! Matt also pointed out that God continued His command with "and fill the earth." Adam and Eve could not have filled the earth from only their own loins -- but their kids had kids who had kids... Another point Matt made was that they had hundreds of years to have all the many kids they did. It probably wasn't one kid right after the other for years on end. He also brought up Abraham and Sarah, who only had one child together. One. And yet Abraham is one of the greatest men of God in all of history. All this NOT to say that we aren't going to have more biological kids! We want to and hopefully will in the future...just hopefully not when Elijah is 1 and Judah is 2. And coming to terms with it being okay that I want to take a break (for multiple reasons, both physical and spiritual) has really helped me have a fresh, lovely perspective on my current pregnancy. I count down the days now out of anticipation of Elijah's arrival and not getting to be un-pregnant. A much better attitude, hopefully now pleasing to God with thanksgiving for even being able to have children...with great pregnancies to boot!
Whew. That was a lot! But at least it lets you know where I'm at...and you didn't even have to go to a different blog. So to give your brain a break, enjoy the pics from Judah's "Backstreet Boy" outfit (as Matt calls it...and I love it) and today's playdate/babysitting of Rachel. They had so much fun together!

5 comments:
I love the "backstreet boys" outfit too :) I can't wait to get there! I'm wondering if we need to have some webcam time esp. the middle to end of July. It might help Judah adjust to me better when I'm there in the flesh.
I'm so glad you are feeling better emotionally and spiritually about the pgcy. God is good to allow us to take part in .... I can't think of the word but you know what I mean. In addition to Adam and Eve, Abe and Sarah, and bringing it to modern day...think about Nonie and Gramps. We went to Larry's for pizza on Sunday and there were 17 of us and that isn't all of us. We figure at Christmas there will be 38 (I think, and we have one in heaven, Cory) I have more thoughts about this but it is getting long :)
Have a great day!!!
Hi Dawn,
Thanks so much for your post. I am glad the Lord has been giving you more joy in your pregnancy and relieving your spirit regarding future children. I think one of the things women struggle with the most is our own expectations of ourselves -- pressure that only we give ourselves, and no one else. The Lord knows our personalities and bodies and He created each of us differently, with a different amount that we can handle. You know your heart and your limits, and it is wise to ask for the Lord to help you keep those boundaries for now. If you are faithful with what the Lord has put before you, you are following Him, and He will bless you for that. Having a lot of children doesn't necessarily mean you are following the cultural mandate, but raising up two strong Christian men is definately being fruitful!
Love you!
Alicia
when is your due date?
Hey did you get your massage?
I love that second pic of J in his backstreet outfit. I've probably said it before, but when I see photos of Judah there is something SO FAMILIAR about him.. probably because he has your genes and you are so familiar to me. Do you ever feel that when you see my kids?
Post a Comment