Thursday, December 08, 2005

As Requested

If you missed the previous post, read it first so you know why on earth I wrote this post. :-)

Tracie requested the recipe. Momma wanted me to bring some home. I want to make Jaclyn wish for them more. So here is the recipe, Tracie. Let's make some when I get there, Momma. And enjoy your nilla wafers, Jaclyn.

I love Betty...she's my kitchen's best friend. This recipe is compliments of Mrs. Crocker, with two tweaks from me!

::thinking of what to name them::

Chocomint Christmas Cookies

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
2 cups sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cream of tartar
1/8 tsp salt
3 egg yolks
1 tsp peppermint extract
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 ziploc bag

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

In a large mixing bowl beat butter and shortening with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Mixture should be smooth and creamy (not very grainy). Beat in egg yolks and peppermint until combined. Beat in as much flour as you can. Stir in remaining flour.

Shape dough into 1" balls (or use a 1" cookie scoop). Place 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet or parchment lined stone. Bake for 20 minutes or until sides are set. Do not let edges brown. Cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute. Transfer to wire rack and let cool.

When cookies are cool, heat chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl for 1-2 minutes. Stir until all chips are melted and chocolate is smooth. You do not have to keep microwaving until the chips are gone. Stirring will finish the job. Fold lips of ziploc bag over to prevent messing the outside of the bag as you spoon the chocolate in. Fold lips back up and shake chocolate into one corner. Use a chip clip or rubberband to create a tight seal at the level of the chocolate. Snip a tiny hole in the corner of the bag, and pipe your decorations. Do NOT stack the cookies until you have chilled them in the refrigerator to allow the chocolate to set. To keep chocolate firm, store in regfrigerator.

Next year I will probably divide the dough in half and add red and green food coloring for more festivity. And maybe I'll coat them with chocolate and sprinkle crushed peppermint on top.

Ok, so now after all of that...I have to go eat one! And then wake Matt up so we can get to our fun afternoon!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet-I think I have everything I need except for the shortening and peppermint extract.

Thanks!

Jaclyn said...

Thank you! I think I will try some....

Autumn said...

cream of tartar?! oh I loathe ingredients like that... I would have to buy it and use it for this recipe and then let it rot in my cabinet for a couple years till I realize how old it is...

anyway, we will make these for sure while "home" ... better yet, you can make them and have them ready for our arrival, he he he.

Christa Blakey said...

Dawn-
These sound delicious! I may try to make them for a little party this weekend. It's great to see you've been updating so much here, I had some to catch up on! Hope all is well, friend:).
-Christa

Autumn said...

hmm... we're supposed to take a plate of Christmas cookies to a dinner on Sunday evening... maybe I'll try to make these!

Autumn said...

made them today with the kids! pretty good, my fave part is the chocolate :) oh my gosh!!! I just realized I haven't made fudge yet this holiday season!

Anonymous said...

Well, I've never made anything in a blender besides shakes...but I was desperate for some high-powered mixing!

So, I cheated and went to Kroger and bought pre-made cookie dough and then applied the chocolate. You can see the results on my blog.

Powered By Blogger