There's a point on the 495 when the Mormon temple bursts onto scene, rising tall above the trees. It is truly spectacular in both the day and the night. A thing of achitectural power and beauty. Very pristine and regal looking. Gorgeous.And then it hit me. All of this power and beauty on the outside, while inside it is harboring a religion that twists Truth and leads people away from the only One that can truly save them. This temple is the epitome of an analogy for "white washed sepulchres."
Minutes after that epiphone came a more personal one. I was sitting at a light waiting to get off the 495 and noticed a man with a money cup on the side of the road. When I had been coming to a stop and noticed there'd be a man on the corner, I immediately locked my doors. But now, stopped, I was able to see more of who he was. This was not the typical "homeless, want food" sign holder who was dressed decently, looked well enough, had other belongings around, and maybe even a cigarette in hand. He was dressed in clothes that looked worn and too big for his body. His cup was definitely not in good shape. He needed a shave. Then he started walking down the curbside. This man has some sort of problem that causes his whole body to wobble while walking. He had a cane that desperately tried to hold him up. The only picture I can think of to describe it is that his bones must be made of jello. My heart was softening whether I wanted it to or not.
Typically, I brush off ANYONE standing on the road asking for money. I've heard too many skeptics assume they all are pretending or don't REALLY need the help. My mind fought my heart. Was he pretending all of this? Or was he really like that but didn't really need money? Or was this man truly in need? Did he really need money to help him live what existence he has? My mind wandered to the chunk of change, mostly pennies, that I knew was in the ash tray. We never use it for anything. We often forget it is even there. But now I remembered. It was just pennies. If he didn't need money, it wouldn't matter to lose the pennies. If he did need money, every little bit counts. If he did need money, I wish I could give more than pennies! When was the light going to turn green? Would he have time to wobble over to my car? Would I call out to him and then have to drive on before I could give him the change?
Would Jesus have sat here this long debating about whether or not to help someone who appeared to be in need? Or would He immediately act in His good, kind compassion?
I can't see this man's heart. I can't judge him. My responsibility is to be like Jesus regardless of what this man will do with the money.
So I grabbed the change, picked out the nail clippers, and rolled down my window and called out. I don't remember what I said. But the man immediately started working his way towards my car. It took what seemed like an eternity, but he made it. He started saying "God bless you" several times as he held out his cup and I dropped the change in. I said "God bless you, too" as he continued to say thank you and "God bless you." Then he said he would pray for me. I'm not sure which god he will pray to, hopefully even the one true God! I replied with "I'll pray for you, too" and before I knew it, my hand was patting the hand that gripped the money cup. It shocked me that I did that, but then it hit me. I might have just given that man something he hasn't had in a long time, maybe if ever: unhindered compassionate human touch. Christ not only provided for others out of His compassion. He touched them, too. Even the lepers.
As soon as that happened, the light turned green and I had to drive on. I choked back tears the rest of the way to the hotel as my heart melted. Why have I for years been part of the skeptics corner. Every John Doe on the corner is not a con artist. There are thousands of people who really do NEED help. I have been thinking and acting opposite of Christ when it comes to strangers. I've judged, stood aloof, and not extended my hand to those who just might really be poor and in need.
It breaks the heart to show compassion to those in need because it reveals how broken this world is. But that kind of broken heart feels good -- because you know it is the very heart of Christ.

2 comments:
Wow. I would have to say your were Christ's hands today. I too tend to judge the "panhandlers" but I think you followed the lead of the Spirit today. That is not to say we should give to all of them, but if the Lord is leading...
What good insights the Lord gave you today...He is so good :)
I liked the part about human touch and Jesus touching everyone. I have had similar thoughts regarding some of my patients at the hospital. I'm proud of you for stepping outside your comfort zone, Dawn.
Post a Comment