Last night was our church's Thanksgiving dinner. It's the biggest one I've ever been to, all 180 people. It was a lot of fun, though Matt had to take Judah home soon after we ate. He only got a one hour nap yesterday and was out of sorts, hyper, disobedient, and whiny. I got to stay with Elijah, so Matt gets the next function. :-) Here are some people that we are becoming good friends with and other church members...
This is Hannah and Nathan (Tara is in the background laughing in the just Hannah pic). They are our same age/same stage friends that we have a lot in common with.
This is Robin, a take-charge kind of lady who loves our boys (esp. Judah, I think). She is also my small group leader and just got NANC certified. Laura, her middle daughter of 3, is one of my favorites! She is so much fun to be around, LOVES Judah and Elijah, has the most beautiful voice, and a wonderful heart of service. She's the one who insisted she come babysit and kicked us out on a date...and is doing so again this Friday, forcing us to go out for dinner rather than a short date. :-P
This is Steve and Lois, a couple in our small group. They came over for football and pizza last Saturday...and she left some of the simplest, tastiest coffee cake ever!
This is Tom and Sue, our pastor and his wife. We have our membership interview with them next Wednesday...and a Thanksgiving waffle/pancake breakfast with them this week...starting at 7:00am. Sheesh!
This was my experimental dessert that I took along with yummy mashed taters. They are carmel topped cheescake bites dipped in chocolate and garnished with a pecan. I've never made cheesecake, never cooked anything with carmel, never dipped anything in chocolate. AND it was a combination of two different recipes. But they were gone in a flash. I actually had people follow me out of the kitchen as I carried the platter to the dessert table. :-P
I'm not entirely sure who these ladies are (Matt took the pic), but I do know the one on the left is from Liberia. One thing I love very much about our church is the incredible diversity. I sat with a family headed by parents who are originally from Nigeria (seen in background, actually). There are Koreans, Indians, African Americans, Hispanics, Chinese, and who knows what other countries are represented. And it's not just little pockets. The entire church is a great mix, not mostly Caucasian. 'Tis wonderful!
On the left is Lyneer (sp?), a pediatric resident and "adopted" daughter of Robin. She's given some great advice already -- including switching Judah to WHOLE milk instead of soy. I keep forgetting to mention that huge change! Judah's been on only whole milk for several weeks, and it has been oh so nice. In the middle is Lilly, a 14 year old who is rarely found without a child in her arms. She adores all children, and even gave me a babysitter business card. I talked with her about it, and she will either accept payment or not. She honestly doesn't care because she loves kids so much. She's gonna babysit during our membership interview. As I sat holding 'Lijah last night, I realized how LITTLE I get to hold him when I'm with church people. Somebody else always has him. :-P Lilly even held him for an hour while he slept.
The sweet children's choir. They were just too cute!
Ah, my little Mustang. He donned the hat and slippers himself. You should hear him talking now. Still needs a mommy or daddy around to translate for others, but his vocabulary is increasing EVERY day. And he does that thing when toddlers just babble at you with even the right inflections, but you haven't got a clue what he is actually saying. You just know he really means whatever it is. :-P He also is very taken with Italian food lately -- ravioli, spaghetti, pizza, ceasar salad... He had his first kid disappointment on Saturday when Matt took him to our new Family Christian Store to meet Bob & Larry...who didn't show up when they were scheduled to. They did get 2 Veggies for only $7 though. :-)
If you haven't seen the previous post, be sure to check it out. Lots of cute pics in it!

4 comments:
what good pictures...makes me anxious to meet your new family memebers :) Robin is NANC certified?? interesting and good to know. Have I told you sometimes Elijah reminds me of S/J's kids Cam and Con? I adore the pics of Judah, esp. the one where he is covering his mouth...precious.
The pic of Judah covering his mouth reminds me of Hayley.
Janet.
I think Elijah does look a little like my kids.
Adorable.
I'm so glad you're starting to "mesh" with your church. Isn't that great to feel like to you really belong with other believers?!
In response to a previous question, we haven't made any plans to go to LR for Christmas. Curtis doesn't have any time off left. However, I'm going to look into the possibility of just Bella and me going to LR for a day or two. I'll keep you posted.
that pic w/J's hand over his mouth is one of my all-time favorites. your kids are so cute, and I had loads of fun chatting with you guys this morning :)
Post a Comment