Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Thoughts on Separation

Every kid has their security blanket or lovey. Each pre-teen has her own fashion statement or his own way of speaking. Every college student has their study crutch of coffee or study avoidance of video games. We all have things that we consider part of us. That we latch on to for one reason or another - security, personality statement, pure enjoyment.

But, inevitably there are times in life when we must be separated from what we hold dear. Sometimes it is a permanent separation, other times it is only for a season. Both times of separation teach us to appreciate all the more that which we hold dear. If we know we will lose it forever, we enjoy every last moment and solidify the memory. If we know we will regain it after a time, we cherish the last moments and quietly anticipate the reunion. We learn that who we are is not wrapped up in things or ideals. They just help shape who we are and how others view us.

So you think I'm going somewhere with this? ::grin::

Pregnancy. Sure, a separation is coming soon -- Judah will be separated from my body. I will no longer have a child living inside of me. Sure, I know I will miss the experience. But this is not the separation I am contemplating at the moment. Pregnancy is what is causing a separation elsewhere on my body. Something that I think helps define who I am must be laid aside for a time in order to preserve a more important part of me. Sometimes we have to do what we know is wise even if it causes us to lose something -- the whole "for the greater good" thing.

Last night, I came to the point of realizing what was best for...my toes. My feet got swollen which isn't out of the norm, but my toe rings haven't ever been quite that snug. I realized that it would be better to have temporary separation with my toe rings rather than risking permanent separation from either my toes or the rings themselves. I tried to get the right one off last night to no avail. This morning, I managed to get my left toe ring off (with quite a bit of discomfort), and for a second time tried to get my right toe ring off. That one still remains on my swollen and bruised toe, to be attempted again tomorrow after a day of rest.

Silly to most of you readers, I am sure. But a couple of you know how much I love my toe rings. In my eyes, they are part of who I am in other people's eyes (if they even notice) -- fresh, fancy-free, different, and a beach lover (one is plumeria and the other ocean waves). They are special to me because they are straight from Hawaii and the most awesome toe rings ever, even down to the metal they are made of -- they still look brand new and have never given me discoloration or rust issues. How long have I had them on? YEARS! When is the last time I had them off? YEARS! (And, Brenda, no they still are not what hold my toes on!) ;-P

But alas, in order to save my toes in case of extreme swelling pre and post delivery and in order to save the rings from having to be cut off, I've got to get them off. I talked with my prayer partner (who is a doctor) today and she gave me some pointers on what to do, especially to not mess with it anymore today. She feels confident I'll be able to get it off. But if worse does have to come to worst, it can always be cut off. But we'll not think about that right now, ok?

I cling to the fact that my toe nails are a bright coral orange with clear sparklies. At least I can have that much to help me keep my "foot" identity and to have something bright and cheery to stare at during labor/delivery. And now that I've thoroughly wasted your time.... :-)

Induction Day - Only 3 more kidless days left if Judah waits that long! Castor oil was mentioned and discussed quite a bit this morning among various ladies and especially between Aut and I (she's done it before). Haven't gotten up the guts to ask Autumn to walk to the store and get some. But I'm really close to that. I asked Matt if he would mind if I tried it. His response? "It's your mouth!"

Have a good day, everyone, and keep praying!

9 comments:

Autumn said...

hee hee ha ha! Matt said "It's your mouth!" and I say [respectfully] "It's your bottom!" No, seriously, Dawn doesn't know I'm reading this right now... I think I'm gonna take a quick walk to Target...

see ya later! :;wink, wink::

Anonymous said...

My mom had to separate from her finger rings during pregnancy, so I know this is common. She actually kept for high school ring on too long and had to have it cut off (ring, not finger) and she was never able to wear it again. She couldn't wear her wedding rings until after delivery, which she felt bad about back then.

Hope the separation from your toe rings isn't too painful (literally and figuratively.)

Anonymous said...

oh babe. of course i understand. when i thought i lost my daddy's baby ring, i almost went ballistic. i am a very symbolic person. inanimate objects don't mean much to me because they are expensive but because of what they physically remind me of.

we will put them back, i promise.

i love you.

Grafted Branch said...

I also have had to remove my wedding rings during every pregnancy (earlier and earlier with each one).

So I have a larger-sized piece of costume jewelry that serves as my outward symbol of marriage during the times I'm swollen or bloated...or pregnant.

With the birth and rearing of Judah, you're going to be amazed at how your toes will become just little digits that help you keep your balance! :)

Grafted Branch said...

This is SO none of my business, but my experiences compel me to share with women the fact that there are a few different ways to take an epideral -- one is the default epideral (especially for first-time moms) chalk full of narcotics (hence the naseau, vomiting and exhaustion) and the other is "clean" with just the bare minimum numbing agent necessary to take the edge of the pain but leaving you alert and effective. I've had three deliveries: 1 with the narcotics and 2 without. The latter is definately the way to go, though my anesth for "Three" tried really hard to talk me into the fully loaded dose. Talk to your docs, and don't be easily intimidated. Congratulations and the Lord bless!

Jaclyn said...

Ahhh, girl, you keep me smiling! I totally understand the toe ring thing! I have not taken mine off in years... my family thinks it is weird. It is a cross... and a daily visual reminder.

Anyway... I am getting excited! I hope that your next couple of days are relaxing and fun! I love you sooo much and miss you! You are going ot be a mommy!

Kathie said...

I'm not sure what you have tried with getting your rings off but first thing in the morning, when you are least swollen, try putting your toes in to some ice water for a few minutes. I know, it will be cold but it might shrink your toes enough to get the ring off...I bet the dr. friend already suggested this. See you this afternoon. I love you
momma

Indiana Mama said...

Oh, I apologized for the toe ring comment years ago!! :)) I can actually say I grew to like them.
I do hope you get them off though. I don't want my grandchild to have a mother without a toe!!!
I am so praying for you. I know your nerves have to be running at an excelerated pace right now, but remember the labor and delivery is part of God's plan and just blame it on the serpant!!

Love ya.

Paul said...

Or you could blame it all on Matt.

I know *I* blame everything on Matt. In general. Just saying.

Powered By Blogger