Monday, February 28, 2011

Monday Meditations: Getting One Thing Straight

I got a very nice message from a dear college friend the other day. She's in a bit of a rough patch with a brood of little Warriors to raise as well as a new pregnancy complete with the fun symptoms. :-P Here's part of what she said...

So, I have a question for you! How do you do it all? I see all of your blog posts, menus, laundry tips, etc. and think...wow, I wish I was as talented as Dawn! I am a pretty organized person, but I just feel like you have it together so much better.

Let's get one thing straight... I. do. NOT. have. it. together. :-)

The problem with the virtual world is that we can pick and choose what we let others see. Granted, you can do that face to face with someone as well. But, ah, with the virtual world, editing of self is endless! Who in their right mind would post "I yelled at my son today just because he wouldn't go up the stairs when I told him to" or "I ate chips the other afternoon when I wasn't truly hungry" or "I was disgruntled when my husband said I couldn't get a new hamper for the boys' room" or "I napped for an hour and a half rather than a quick cat nap and then taking care of responsibilities" (See, four imperfections right off the top of my head...and there's a lot more I could post!) No, most of us, except for a few rare jewels of honesty, choose to post the tips, the funnies, the pictures, the Bible verses, and so on. Sure paints a pretty picture, huh?

I'd like to share my response to my sweet friend to help paint, not an ugly or pretty picture, but a PROPER picture...

Girl, there are SO many things I need to improve upon. What you see on my blog or FB is by God's grace, whether I learned it through Home Ec, other women or resources, or figured it out along the way.

I fail EVERY day. Misplaced priorities, laziness, anger/impatience with my boys... I could give you a laundry list of failures. I think we're only on week 7 or so of our preschool. And it's been 6 MONTHS since we started. :-P Laundry always piles up. Dusting happens maybe once a month. Bathrooms are cleaned every 2-3 weeks (maybe?). Menu planning is a chore -- ugh. I have good intentions to do things after bedtime, but once I sit to nurse Eden one last time, my body hits the "I'm actually sitting down and now I'm tired" wall.

So now that I've blown holes in how you apparently view me... ;-)

If I may borrow an old adage: Those who fail are those who fail to try.

And to add to that, we can only try and keep trying by God's strength. He's promised not to give us anything He won't also give us the tools and grit to handle. Very humbling to think of all He's blessed us with and then look at the job we are (or aren't) doing. We've been given amazing men to love, support, and aid in this life. We've been charged to raise human beings -- keep them alive and healthy as well as guide them spiritually to the Throne of Salvation. And if that wasn't enough responsibility, tack on home management, meal management, clothes management, cleaning, doc appointments, church stuff, etc. Sheeh! Almost seems like we've been set up to fail.

And yet God gave it all to us. Therefore, we CAN handle it. But only in HIS strength. Can't stress that enough for the both of us. By being His daughters, we're set up for success rather than failure. We just have to choose to take what is already there! (Wow, I think I'm preaching to myself!)

My mom has always told me "Just do the next thing" when I'm having a rough time physically or emotionally. This is definitely just a season for you. One that is well worth it since you're [insert your own personal struggle here]! Do what you can, ask for help, and let go of the rest. As long as your family is alive and healthy, that's what matters! People, including yourself, are more important than folded laundry or clean windows.

Let me raise my glass of lukewarm water while in my wrinkled shirt and spit-up, snotty jeans as I say: "Here's to wives and moms -- may we remember that our Father has set us up for success and not failure. We just have to choose to do it all for Him and that will put success in our grasp!"

3 comments:

aboveallshadows said...

What a precious encouragement, Dawn. You always speak/write with grace, and I believe your honesty is God-honoring. Thank you for sharing this. :)

Anonymous said...

Great post!!!
~Rachael M.~

~Babychaser~ said...

I love this post!! The encouragement element you added is wonderful... but it's hearing about what your live is really like that makes me feel like I'm not as far behind or neglectful as I feel! We bloggers need to remember that there is as much encouragement in reality as there is in the "edited" version!

Thanks!

Powered By Blogger