I know for stay-at-home-moms (and even most working moms), one of our "realms" is meal management and our main office is the kitchen. Some husbands are 5-star chefs, others don't know what a spatula is used for -- or even what it might look like. Then there are those husbands that are Renaissance men. These men can be taught just about anything or are just creative enough to at least semi-successfully do what they put their minds to. My Hubz is that kind of a man. I know that if he had more experience in the kitchen and learned a few things, he would be a great chef (including the creative bent he has). Actually, there are a few dishes he's been better at than I. Usually the simple things like a fried egg. It must have taken me a year or more to figure out how to do it just right! Quite frustrating to one who holds a Home Ec degree. :-P Anyway, what happens when Chef Mom is unable to cook dinner? Some use it as an opportunity (or excuse) to have pizza, Chick-fil-A, or whatever. But for those who are trying to watch the budget carefully (and trying to buy a house), Hubz has to step up to the plate.
And Chef Mom needs to let go and take that life ring.
Good things happen when my Hubby gets in the kitchen. And I'd never know it if I didn't "let" him every once in a while. (Be sure to check out this weeks T.G.I.F.)
So my tip for today is to remember that you and your husband are partners in life. Yes, we each have our roles in the family -- bread winner, home manager, etc. But marriage is a partnership in which the roles have the ability to be fluid. So let it flow! Help your husband in his "roles" when he is unable; learn from him how to do his jobs. And let your husband help you in your roles...and be willing to teach him how to do it. To that I will add... be patient. ;-) And, in the end, be willing to let the t-shirts be folded "wrong" until you do the laundry again or to let your kids eat scrambled eggs made without milk for once.
Take that life ring when it's thrown to you...and say "Thank you!"

3 comments:
HA! Our lives sound so similar! My Hubby is that kinda guy too. He def makes a fried egg better than I (he boasts about it bc its not too often he finds something in the kitchen I'm not skilled in)! :)
Thanks for this post dear!
This pregnancy has been one long reminder of this... I hold tight to my "realms" and I do NOT like asking for help! (Even when I really, REALLY need it!) But, of course, Jonathan is a sweet, patient helper and is always willing to step in and cook... although he is no Renaissance Man and does better with foods that only have a few steps involved. ;) Thank you, Lord, for our Christlike hubbies who are willing to remind us that we can't do everything ourselves!
A most excellent post, as always! I think this is something we, as wives, have to work at always, at least that has proven true in my life. If it weren't for that darn Eve we wouldn't have any problems with this :)
Post a Comment