Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Tippy Tuesday

While I hope none of my tips are been-there-done-that for my readers, I do realize that there are some things that are obvious to many or have been done a jillion times. Today's tip just might fall into that category, but I offer it anyway since I had to discover it on my own.

I don't have a lot of money or space to spend on a bunch of seasonal decor. Now, if I did have the space, I probably wouldn't fill it. I'm not huge on decorating every nook and cranny for any holiday. Personal preference -- I feel like the more decor I put out, the less tidy things look. (NOT to say that things are always tidy around here, but lots of decor would only add "stuff.") I suppose I think it looks like I've left things laying around. But then, I also suppose if I had unlimited finances to spend on such things, what I would purchase would be lovely and flow all together. Hmm. But I don't. So it doesn't.

All that to say, I have a total of two wreaths. One is a gorgeous fall wreath a dear friend gave me last year when she found out I didn't have one but wanted something for my door. The other is a simple branch wreath. I came up with the idea that if I had a simple branch wreath, I could then purchase a couple sets of flowers to stick in the wreath according to the season. That way, I'm only storing a few gallon ziplocs of flowers and one wreath at a time. The branch wreath stays on the door the entire year except for October-November. I have purple hydrangeas, daffodils, sunflowers, and red black-eyed susan flowers plus their greeneries to use for the rest of the year in whatever combination fits my fancy. But...

Winter is my favorite wreath. I have no idea why. It's just a bunch of sticks wrapped with a small piece of ribbon and one snowflake ornament hanging in the middle. Perhaps it is the simplicity that I am drawn to. Or the cool, icy feel that makes me think of a pristine winter scene graced by a beautiful snow queen. Or the sparkle of the ornament mixed with the rustic texture of the branches and the silky smooth ribbon. (Can you tell I've thought this through on multiple occasions?) Practically, it is also the cheapest wreath I "make." I already had the ribbon from making a pair of garters for a friend years ago, and the ornament is from my dear sister Hope who knows me very well in the Christmas snowflake department. This one fits my cooking mantra: "Cheap 'n easy." The beauty is a bonus!

2 comments:

besnini said...

I love the simplicity of your wreath too :) and the colors. I also love the way you write, that last paragraph is great.

Jennifer said...

I'm actually glad to hear someone say that they don't go all out on Christmas decorations ON PURPOSE. While I love seeing people's houses who do decorate every nook and cranny, the thought of putting all that stuff out for just one month makes me tired. It's quite enough for me to put up our tree, a few nativities, and a Christmasy table cloth!

I love your simple wreath idea, too. Our door is metal and I don't have a good way to display a wreath, but I do like them. They're so welcoming!

Powered By Blogger