Judah and Elijah just filled a hamper to the brim with toys and scooted it into the kitchen ("church" they said). Elijah said they had toys in the basket, and Judah followed with, "Yeah, like thousands!" Really?
So, Eden is dairy intolerant. Wow. And I thought cutting out coffee and chocolate was hard! I went dairy free (except baked goods) for 3-4 days. Had pizza one evening, and the next morning Eden fussed to high heaven while nursing. Then she proceeded to have milky spit-up for 30 minutes followed by another 20 minutes of thick spit-up. Today, she's spitting up less but now has a great need for diaper changing (if you catch my drift). Dr. L is fairly certain she has a dairy intolerance and told me I need to hold off. ::sigh:: So I shall. It's worth it to nurse her. And it's only for a few more months. (Eek!)
Three things I have noticed in this non-dairy week:
1) You feel like you're not really eating. "Real" food contains gooey cheese you can sink your teeth into...or cold and creamy yogurt...or deliciously dessertful ice cream...or a refreshing glass of milk with your pancakes...or a simple bowl of cereal with milk. Nope. None of that anymore.
2) You have to get pretty basic with your diet when dairy isn't in the picture. This really surprised me. Milk is in almost everything! Granted, I still think I'm ok to eat baked goods, butter, and other things that have little dairy content. But think of how much we use cheese, sour cream, cream soups, etc. in our cuisine!
3) A diet without dairy has less fat! (Hence the feeling of not having "real" food...)
So I now embark on a journey of figuring out how I'm going to eat and plan meals for my family over the next few months until Eden is weaned. All ideas are welcome!!! And pray for me to persevere for Eden's good!
And maybe pray that when I try coffee and chocolate in a week or so after being no-dairy a little longer, that maybe she'll be ok with those. That MIGHT be an even trade...

3 comments:
Rice Dream Enriched Drink is actually pretty stinkin good! It tastes like milk, only its a little sweeter....
Hmm...chocolate, most dark chocolate is dairy-free, especially the ones with a high cocoa content. Chocolate soy milk is good when its ice cold, almost tastes like a milk shake!
Cheese...erg...soy cheese is good in recipes, dont even try it plain! BLECH!
Love you, give Eden a kiss from me. Give the boys some high fives and big squeezes! :) Looking forward to having our crying fest ;).
I know the feeling of doing without in the name of breastfeeding!! It is HARD. But worth it to nurse your baby...totally agree. Rocco was so colicky the first 4 months and I had to pretty much cut out caffeine of any kind and cut back on dairy as well. And he was still pretty fussy. I had a feeling that food didn't even really have much to do with it...but kept certain foods out of my diet anyway just to be safe. I would use gripe water when it got really bad. Anyways...praying for you!
i had to use Vanilla Soy milk for a while.. It was actually pretty good.
Post a Comment