I just read a couple posts on Girl Talk, and am prompted to share a quote they spoke of.
There was a 45 minute span of time just before lunch that Judah was getting hyper and disobedient...while I was incapacitating by feeding Elijah. Those are the worst set-ups for me -- disobedience I can't immediately get to. I could FEEL the battle inside my heart and my head, so much that my feet got hot and sweaty as I sat there calmly talking to Judah while he was disobeying. The Holy Spirit was working quick and fast against my flesh. I'd feel the angry words about to yell out, then in a split second hear the still small voice say "Have patience...he is a child...he must learn...there is no reason for you to sin because of his sin...sin has no power over you...you have a choice...love him and teach him...he disobeyed and therefore needs correction...it's as simple as that...no need to make it a huge ordeal." It happened several times. I'm still in awe. Praise God for answering Matt's prayer.
To feel and know that kind of Power at work in me against my most binding sins -- impatience and anger -- is encouraging and empowering. I know the Spirit is always there, but so many times I don't listen and allow myself to get out of touch by not spending enough time in prayer and the Word. How much faster I could get down this road to Christ-likeness if I would be aware of His presence much more often than I am! The problem is always self. Self is in my way!
Following Christ is so very simple. And yet we make it incredibly hard.
This is why it can not be done without the Holy Spirit's help. If only we would let Him work!

4 comments:
What a wonderful post! It is so encouraging...to know I don't struggle alone and to be reminded that the times of struggle are the (or can be) the greatest times of growth. Praise the Lord for answering Matt's prayer (and for having a praying husband!) and for your transparency.
Dawn,
I have thoroughly enjoyed reading through some of your posts. I completely completely understand all the toddler issues!! I have often times thought to myself "WHO are you and where did you come from?!" in regards to Lakota!! :) Oops, maybe I shouldn't have mentioned that...I don't want to scare you off!
I will be praying for you regarding wisdom in where you live & your car.
Stephanie
we do indeed have the same living room furniture! how funny!
Great post, Dawn! I sure needed to hear that. Trey tries the patience quite often, but the line "you don't need to sin because of his sin" really caught me. So true...yet how often I fail to apply that. Thanks for sharing this.
Post a Comment