I've begun a study in Ecclesiastes using Matt's study Bible. It is the first time I've used a study Bible in my devotions, and it is what I've been looking for in my walk! Ecclesiastes is a wonderful book...and I'm only halfway through chapter 2. Here are my thoughts that I wanted to share with you all because they hold rebuke and encouragment for ALL of us...
Thoughts about the book as a whole:
1) Avoid walking through life on human wisdom alone. Rahter, live by the revealed wisdom of God.
2) Vanity is the futile attempt to be satisfied apart from God.
3) The "Abundant Life" is obatined by seeing and accepting each day and ALL it contains as a gift from God.
4) The primary issues of life are to enjoy divine blessing and prepare yourself for the divine judgment.
Today's Thought:
2:11 "Then I looked on all the works that my hands had done and on the labor in which I had toiled: and indeed all was vanity and grasping for the wind. There was no profit under the sun."
To expend God-given resources for human accomplishment alone is empty. This INCLUDES time and energy. If you only have enough time and energy to either clean the bathroom or spend time with the Lord, which would be more profitable for eternity? Do what is MOST profitable FIRST, then the Lord will show you time to do the rest.
So simple. So clear. And yet I still struggle with consistency?

4 comments:
yowsa! thanks for the kick in the pants, Dawn. :)
I am also a fan of Ecclesiastes.
Thanks for the timely reminder for me... How I want to live my life doing things that will LAST... most importantly spending time in God's Word and with Him in prayer!
Thanks for the thoughts and funny comments you left on my blog. Looks like someone was playing blog catch up today:)
You need to update us too:)
Dawn-
Great thoughts on Ecclesiastes! Thanks for the reminder to do what is most profitable for eternity first and not waste my time and energy. Hope you are having a good week!
-Christa
Post a Comment