Thursday, March 22, 2012

Judah's Story: Part 6

An infinity of minutes later, my doctor returned from surgery to check on my progression.  I thanked him for returning which he apparently misunderstood as me thinking he wasn't going to come back.  I was truly thankful he was back because I was in so much pain!  He had returned at 4:45, less than the hour he said he'd be gone.  Over those minutes, I had begun to sort of welcome thoughts of a c-section because that meant an end was in sight.  I believe this was God's grace in preparing me for what HE had written rather than what I assumed for years would be my first birthing story (which did not include a c-section or drugs).

So handsome, eh?
I had not progressed at all, and Judah's heart rate was dropping with each contraction.  Judah's head was not going to allow a natural delivery.  A c-section was quickly and quietly decided upon.  What did I do?  I cried!  Tears of relief, not disappointment, poured forth.  I was taken off pitocin.  Matt was given the lovely blue garb of husbands headed to the OR.  Autumn, my mom, and Nonie stood around my bed holding my hands and just touching me.  Even 6 years later, I very vividly remember the cool, soft touch of Autumn's hands.  I kept telling her to touch my head, my cheeks, my forehead -- it felt SO good!  Matt came over, and we prayed.  I was able to call my Gramps and let him know that his great grandson would indeed be a birthday present, and I was also able to briefly talk to my good friend Jaclyn (though I don't remember that conversation at all!).  The time came for me to be wheeled out of the labor room and into the operating room.

Don't mind the land whale...
I remember the c-section actually being enjoyable.  Dr. Sugar was back to give me the happy juice.  (Pretty sure you REALLY don't want to feel a c-section...).  My doctor was there with his assistants chatting it up.  My contractions had completely stopped by the time I got to the room, so it had been the pitocin keeping me going all day.  Everything was just bright and cheery -- as I had always dreamed (except the c-section part).

My first-born son!
Having a c-section is a unique experience.  I was completely awake and talking.  I could feel nothing from the rib cage down except occasional pressure.  Matt was able to watch almost all of the surgery and said it was very weird to see his wife that way.  (I can't even imagine what it must be like for husbands to see that -- and now he's done it three times!) I could tell when they were trying to pop Judah's head out because it felt like they were pushing super hard on my rib cage.  (With Elijah, it felt like an elephant was sitting on my rib cage...but that's his story.)  Once he was out, Matt went with Judah's nurse to watch him get all cleaned up and take pictures.  He was so cute all bundled up when they brought him to me.  I'm pretty sure I kissed his cheeks and cried, but I don't remember it that well.  As they were finishing up the c-section, I remember telling Dr. Sugar lots of women must love him.  I also heard my doctor and his assistants talking about various breeds of dogs.  Such a relaxed atmosphere.

Judah Gabriel was born at 5:07 PM, March 10, 2006.
He weighed in at 8.6 pounds and measured 18.75".

I was off to the recovery room for about an hour.  Once I was able to sit up a little and wiggle my toes, they brought Judah to me so I could nurse him.  Wonderful, quiet moments after 14 incredibly hard hours ending in surgery.  And all so very worth it.

Interesting Notes...

1) Judah's always been in the upper percentile for head size.  ;-)  But that was not the reason he was not coming out naturally.  When my doctor opened up my uterus, he found that Judah's head was lodged sideways in my pelvic bone and presenting his forehead first.  This explains the lack of progress and the intense pain I had.  It was encouraging to hear a few nurses tell me that I had indeed had a harder-than-normal labor and that I lasted much longer than a lot of women before asking for drugs.  Some consolation for the battle against feeling like a failure in those first few months after having Judah.

2) Judah's birth story is one of the two stories in my life that God has used to teach me that I should never assume things will always go the way I think they will or that my way is what is best for me.  Basically, that I'm not in control.  I never would have chosen pain relief drugs, but it was impossible for me to continue in labor without them.  I never would have chosen to have my children by way of c-section, but that is what He chose.  I still don't know why, but it is obviously best because it has come to pass and God is sovereign.

3) Judah's birth story is a vivid reminder that medical knowledge and advancements are a gift from the Lord that we should be thankful for when it is necessary.  My dad (a doctor) said that if this birth had occurred even 70 or so years ago, both Judah and I would most likely have died.  Though I still wish I knew what it is like to complete a natural delivery, I am very thankful that c-sections exist so that mothers and babies with risky deliveries can live life together.

After all that labor, surgery, and feeling the need to guzzle vast amounts of water, I was swollen.  To put it lightly.
Teeny Toes!
Next up... Part 6: Recovery and Home!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I feel like your telling my first delivery (and only) story! I have NO REGRETS ON MY C SECTION! After SOO many hours and 2 epiderals ..it was a RELIEF for the DR to help (or force) US TO decide, it was the best way! Delivered at 9:00pm was given NO MERCY, even after breast feeding all nite! Nurses were in at 7am and in the shower I was thrown! Greatest recovery I've ever had! NO REGRETS..I think I recovered faster actually!!

Powered By Blogger