Saturday, October 30, 2010

They did the Taaaaater Mash!

There's a first time for everything. And today, I don't mean my first time to make baby food. I'm a pretty seasoned pro when it comes to that, having done it for two children already and now on my third. But neither of my boys could eat sweet potatoes or squash without getting a face rash. My daughter seems to be able to eat anything I put in her mouth -- with hardly any reaction (much to our disappointment...isn't that part of the fun of baby food?).

No, today's firsts included having sweet potatoes in my house, peeling and cutting sweet potatoes, and cooking them up for baby food. Ok, one other first was using a hand-crank baby food mill rather than the electric one I used for the boys. I gotta say, even though it is more manual work, I think it makes a smoother, more consistent
baby food. I'll save my final decision on that after I do some corn and peas. If you have never made your own baby food or are just interested in the process, I photo-chronicled the Sweet Potato Mash just for you.

Really -- making your own is cheap and easy. Granted, more work than popping open a jar. But using fresh or even frozen foods to make your own provides more nutrients and more potent flavors for your baby for much less money. I think one thing that really gets me is that jarred baby food or even using canned food to make your own means you are using food that is packaged in a way that it can sit on the shelf for a couple years before it is consumed. Hmm. Not my first choice when considering my new baby's food intake. (Disclaimer: I do occasionally use jarred and canned, but it's not the norm. Sometimes you need the food a little faster.)

I used two sweet potatoes. Just wait until you see how much I got out of them!

1) Peel and chop the sweet potatoes. I was shocked at how hard it is to cut those things! Matt said what I was thinking: "Just make sure no fingers get cut off!"

2) I used Pampered Chef's large microcooker and a little water to steam the sweet potatoes in the microwave in 3 minute increments (about 12 minutes total until tender).













3) Pull the plunger of the food mill to the bottom and fill the cylinder to the top with some steamed sweet potato chunks. Lock the crank into place. Crank while putting gentle downward pressure on the center tube. Have fun watching the sweet potato come out the top like playdough spaghetti!















4) Scoop the mash into a bowl. Repeat until all sweet potato chunks have done the mash. Add a little butter and either water or breastmilk/formula for both flavor and consistency.













5) Divide into your choice of containers for consumption and freezing. I kept some out for use in the next couple days. Some I put in my awesome little reusable baby food containers for on-the-go use, and the rest went into covered ice trays. Once frozen, I'll remove the ice cube food to a labeled and dated ziploc bag. I got 2 fridge portions, 2 on-the-go's, and 1.5 ice trays (21 ice cubes)...out of just two sweet potatoes. If that's not saving money, I don't know what is! $2 vs approx $12! Glad she likes them. ;-) Now if I can just make sure her nose doesn't turn orange like Judah's did......


3 comments:

besnini said...

This is great!!! If I had a baby I would be convinced to make my own baby food :)

Emily said...

An even easier way to cook sweet potatoes--"bake" them! Either wrapped in foil in the oven while you're baking something else (two birds, one stone, etc.) or in the microwave, pricked with a fork, just like you would microwave a non-sweet potato. That way you can just split the skin open and scoop out the insides with a spoon (once they've cooled a bit)! No peeling or chopping required. :-)

Rachael M. said...

Yeah...I make them the way Emily described when I do Rocco's homemade sweet potatoes. I might try your way too Dawn! See which one I like better. :) I am liking your blog! Keep the posts coming :)

Powered By Blogger