Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Raw Vocabulary

Last night, we received quite the picture of raw Flesh bucking against consequences for disobedience. For a while, there has been a hole in the boys' wall right by Judah's top bunk. He's picked at the hole several times and been disciplined for it. Since Matt had yesterday off, he decided to patch 'n paint the wall. During naptime, Judah called him up to ask for a hand wash...Judah had picked at the spackle and made a complete mess (including all over sleeping Elijah). We spent several hours trying to figure out what would be the best consequence for such a thing. Most pertinent was missing the picnic and swimming with a group of friends in order to watch Daddy repair the wall yet again. Judah, our social fishy, was absolutely distraught! He carried on with yelling and crying. After some thought, Matt revised and said Judah could go but would not be allowed to swim. After all, Matt didn't want to miss out by staying home with Judah! But Judah reacted the same way he did when he was told he couldn't go at all -- lots of loud, tearful protest. After a few minutes, because of his unthankful response, Matt gave the final word that he and Judah would stay home. Again, Judah lost it; but this time, he kept telling Matt (through sobs), "I need to tell you something, Daddy!" Matt calmly put him on the couch and said, "I'm listening." It took about 20 seconds for Judah to eek out between sobs...

"I accept your solution."

Wow. Even when not terribly upset, it would be weird to hear a four year old say that. I walked away so that no one would see the small smile fighting its way onto my face. It was terribly sad but a little funny, too. He still was not allowed to go because he should have accepted Daddy's solution when it was given. It's like saying "I'm sorry"...good, but doesn't negate the need for consequence.

Got me thinking. I pray that someday (soon?), Judah will accept Jesus' solution. For now, it is offered freely at any moment in time. He just needs to realize and internalize Jesus' solution to sin -- salvation! In the future, there will come a day when the time for accepting the Solution will pass. There will be no mercy after that.

And, as an adult, I need to continue to accept Jesus' solution. Judah needs the initial solution Christ provides which is a repentant and cleansed heart. I need the continual solution of daily remembering that I am no longer a slave to sin. Seeking the Lord and His strength is my lifelong solution to the battle I wage against my raw Flesh. May I daily use the same vocabulary my four year old did and say, "I accept Your solution!"

1 comment:

the babies mamma said...

I think what is also so hard is that their actions don't just affect themselves! I try explaining to Lakota that when she's disobedient or reacts in the wrong it affects everyone! It's hard for me too, b/c like Matt, I would've hated to miss the picnic and pool too!

Powered By Blogger