Judah: I love Eden VERY much...
Me: Awww, I'm so glad you do!
Judah: But she'll get older and then die.
::stunned::
We talked a little about the difference between spirit and body. Try explaining to a 4 year old that who he is can not be seen. We only see his body. And even when his body dies, Judah will still exist -- prayerfully with Jesus if he believes in and loves Jesus! I told him that his spirit is what does the thinking and feeling. Unfortunately, I can't remember his cute response that involved the brain and heart. :-P (Later on, I told Matt about our conversation and was then informed of the little lesson on death the previous night.) I love being a mom. SO many times that I am forced to reckon and grapple with the basics of life as I try to explain it to my children. We learn things, get it under our belt, and then forget to keep pondering. We humans sure miss out on a lot of the depth that life in God's world brings!
Back to Exodus, last night's reading was about when Moses was placed in the basket and sent downriver. Talk about a new perspective! When Moses was 3 months old, his mother could no longer keep him hidden. Eden is 3 months old. As Matt read that chapter, I kept looking at my smiling, squealing Eden imagining how hard it must have been for Moses's mom to place her little guy in a basket she made and then put that basket in a mighty river. Could she have known the outcome? Drowning, eaten by animals, starvation...many things could have taken her son's life. And she probably knew that. Even thinking about my baby crying and not being able to get to her and calm her hurts me. And she's just upstairs -- not in the Nile all by herself.
But this woman had great faith. She had choices. She could have given up hiding him and succumbed to Pharaoh's soldiers. She could have tried to keep him hidden, eventually to be found by the soldiers. She even could have taken his life as a "mercy act" on herself and her baby boy -- his death was an eventuality in men's eyes. But instead, she made the most raw choice. She gave up her baby to creation. A creation that serves its Maker. The Maker she was devoted to. She gave her little son to God, wholly and compeltely. And in giving up her son, she gained him back. By putting Moses into an incredibly dangerous situation for a 3 month old, she saved his life...and got to finish nursing him, raise him a few years, train him...and then see him become one of the greatest men of all time in Egypt and in the history of the Jews!
Would I be willing to give up any of my children in such a way? Would you?

No comments:
Post a Comment