Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Sugary Cereal or Peaches?

Throughout each passing day, I find myself thinking of more and more analogies for the spiritual life. Today's was brought on by having Cinnamon Streusal Mini-Wheats and a peach for breakfast. The cereal was quite tasty and sweet, as was the peach. No one would argue which is better for your body -- the peach, of course. Natural vitamins, sugars, and fiber as opposed to the sugar-infused, added-vitamins fiber cereal. I ate the cereal first and then began chomping on the peach. To my surprise, the first bite of peach was QUITE bitter. The second a little less bitter, the third even less bitter, and so on. After several bites, the peach was what I considered juicy, succulent, and perfectly peachy-sweet. A drastic change from that first post-cereal bite of peach.

And then the analogy came.

We so often gorge ourselves on the things this world has to offer -- TV, video games, books, e-mail, Facebook, Twitter, etc. But how often do we reach for God's Word or spend time with Him in prayer? It's so easy to get out of practice with the latter and so easy to fall into hours of practice with the former. And what always happens when we've immersed ourselves in worldy things and recognize we need to shape up and start spending our time where it is most needed? It doesn't taste good! Our selfish flesh fights against focusing on what is right. We experience the bitterness of conviction and failure. The taste is bitter, but the nutrients are still good for us. After a while, if we are disciplined and persevere, our spirit starts winning over our flesh and time with God and His Word is sweet and desirable.

If only we'd eat the Peach first, then we'd enjoy EVERY nutritious bite...and perhaps not be so thrilled with the sugary cereal of the world.

6 comments:

besnini said...

I'm thinking someone is spiritually eating her peaches first :) This is a true and convicting analogy...I might need to stop reading your blog, it is painful. You would think with all the time I have on my hands that I would be digging into "peaches" but unfortunately I'm mostly eating sugared cereal. Thanks for the reminder that the peaches really taste better :)

aboveallshadows said...

hey Dawn - did you think of this after reading Ch. 10 in our PFM book? on page 129 in the second paragraph there is a Peter Bolt quote that is exactly the main thrust of your post! if this was unintentional, that it is quite coincidental!

Dawn said...

Oh wow! No, I'm only on chapter 4ish. Can't wait to find the quote your talking about!

aboveallshadows said...

Well, when I came across the quote in the book your Peach Post came to mind immediately. So thank you for giving me such a vivid picture of God's Truth. You definitely gave me an indelible memory. :oD

Dawn said...

Ok, so I skipped ahead to the quote. Oh my WORD -- that is freaky peachy! :-D

Tara said...

Thanks for the analogy Dawn. That was a good reminder for me today. And I have to add, impressively deep thinking that early in the morning too. =)

Powered By Blogger