Monday, March 01, 2010

Why have children?

That's a question I've asked myself a few times in the last week as pregnancy has ramped up fatigue and back/hip pain...and also as two high-energy boys are about to be joined by another child.
Today, I pondered the question a little more because the question has definitely irritated me. Why would I ask that? I love my kids!

When you get down to the bottom of it, the reason we have children is not:

1) Because that's what we humans do.
2) To gain enjoyment from them (because they certainly cause an equal amount of trials!).
3) To raise up more humans who can live happy lives just moving about this earth.
So why have children? I think there are two very foundational reasons while all other reasons are merely bonuses to our earthly lives.
We have children because we are commanded to.

But more importantly, we have children in order to raise up more people who will bring glory to God's name. Not that we are adding to His glory -- He is already 100% glory. We are just adding voices and lives who can increase the celebration of His glory. And if I as a mom can learn to keep THAT my focus in raising my kids, so much will fall into place in the mothering process (like patience, love, spending time on discipline and teaching, etc.).

When everything else is the focus, everything will be blurry.

When God's glory is the focus, everything else becomes crystal clear.

Psalm 127

No comments:

Powered By Blogger