Yesterday, I was grocery shopping by myself, pushing through my body's exhaustion after having run several errands already. I was looking for a certain spice mix in the baking aisle when this guy all of the sudden walks quickly past me from behind. As he passed by, my ears heard him quietly say, "So when is that baby girl due?" Now, the fact that he kept walking quickly and that he spoke so quietly meant that my brain was not processing everything as it was happening. So after a few seconds of figuring out exactly what words he said and then being astounded, I managed to call out, "Next month." After a few more seconds of shocked processing, I called out louder, "How did you know it's a girl??" He turned around but kept walking backwards as he said, "I can just tell. You're carrying high. And I have two of my own." He turned and was gone from my aisle. I still stood there in complete shock. So much, that I said to a fellow lady shopper who had seen the exchange, "That was freaky." She gave a little laugh and moved on. The simple fact that this stranger (who was male) knew I was having a girl and commented on it is weird enough. But what makes it MORE weird is that EVERY person who has commented on what I'm having has argued with me that it must be a boy because of how I am carrying. Two women in particular actually held a conversation with me for a minute or more about how I had to be having a boy no matter how many times I reassured them it was indeed a girl, confirmed by several ultrasounds. The Safeway Stranger is one I will never forget!
Then today, an older lady at church graciously approached me and asked with a gentle smile "How are you feeling? Big?" I told her I'm good save for a couple small complaints of back/hip pain and the onset of swelling but I only have a month left. That's when the conversation took a turn towards major confusion and foot-in-mouth disease for her. She asked something about if I knew whether or not it was twins. (WHAT??) I think I was so surprised at the question that I stammered my reply it was not twins and couldn't imagine carrying two babies. Then she started questioning if they can tell if someone is having twins these days, like do ultrasounds show if there are two babies or is it a surprise. (::dumbfounded stare::) I told her absolutely they know if you are having twins and was going to go into the fact that even if you don't have an ultrasound, they can still find two heartbeats. But she cut me off with, "Well, I guess she's just a big girl then, huh?" (Oh dear.) "Well, no actually she is small which is part of why they are continuing to monitor her with monthly ultrasounds." I think she realized that was her Strike Two, and she may have then mentioned something about me looking big. I told her I was actually smaller than I was with either of my sons. Strike Three. I don't even remember how the conversation ended, probably too mystified by the plainly odd nature of her questioning and also feeling sorry for her indirectly saying three times I was big when all the facts prove I'm quite small for 34 weeks. I didn't have the heart to also tell her NO ONE has told me I look big. :-P
Which brings me to the Mailman's comment this past week. I've had some issues with this mailman in the past seeming almost too friendly and knowledgeable of me and my family (including telling me once that I have a beautiful face...). But I think I've gotten over my fear and realized that he just must be my Really Friendly Neighborhood Mailman. So the other day, the boys ran to the mailbox when he was there so he could give them the mail. I moseyed on over to supervise. Mailman asked me how baby was doing. I told him fine, that she was arriving next month. He exclaimed, "Next month?? You're not big at all! I thought you were going to say you had 5 months left or something." ::shock:: I think I said thank you, and then I explained that I am smaller than I was with either of the boys. But then I got to thinking...what would Mailman (or anyone) say if they thought I was huge and I said I had one month left. You don't hear people exclaiming, "WOW! A whole month left? You're already a land whale. How much bigger could you possibly get?" I suppose people must just give a cordial "hmm" or blank smile instead of responding with that if it's what they believe about you. So I'm content with the Mailman's opposite response. :-P

2 comments:
How funny! I carried all three of my girls *really* low (Annie was just barely hanging in there, I think) and Harrison often felt like he was up in my throat he was so high.
And yeah, some people WILL say, "You have HOW MUCH LONGER?! Good grief! You are HUGE! Are you sure it's not twins? I bet you're ready for this to be over! You're HUGE!" or "Are you sure you're not carrying triplets? You're enormous!" Yes said to me...the first person was a total stranger and she said it when I was about 24 weeks pregnant with Annie. The 2nd person was someone I knew who was jealous of my pregnancy with Katherine and said it when I was about 16 weeks pregnant (I measured 6 weeks ahead through that entire pregnancy)
Those are funny stories! You have to understand the predicament some of us are in when our very pregnant friends are complaining about being huge, when in fact, to us, comparatively they don't look that big. But what do you say "No, you don't look huge."? Because then they get insulted that we think they must have been huge to begin with. I always feel like I'm stuck whenever my friends complain about how big or small they are. I have one friend who carries her babies way back and she doesn't really develop a pregnant belly until about 8 mos. along. She is about 7 mos. now and just starting to show, and until now no one would have ever guessed she was even pregnant--Curtis didn't even know--but she gets really insulted when people tell her she doesn't look like she is 7 mos along. To her, she feels huge. So what does one say?! From my perspective, if I am ever pregnant, I'll be so grateful that I won't care if I'm a whale or not. ;) But maybe the hormones do things...
Anyway, I saw your photos on facebook. You're adorable, and I do think you are def. carrying smaller this time around. I can't wait to see little Eden!
Love you! ~Beth
Post a Comment