Wednesday, November 05, 2008

In Keeping With the World

So, what's on the world's mind today? Obama of course. He'll be the headline for a while, I'm sure. Everyone is offering their reactions to last night's landslide election -- both Obama supporters and McCain supporters. In keeping with the rest of the world, I will offer my thoughts.

Did I vote for Obama? No. It took me a long time to come to a conclusion between Obama and McCain. I admit that I went back and forth several times. But in the last couple weeks, there were a few things that surfaced about Obama's policies and ideals that caused me to land in the McCain camp. Am I disappointed he didn't win? Sure. So what now?

Obey your leaders and submit to their authority. They keep watch over you as men who must give an account. Obey them so that their work will be a joy, not a burden, for that would be of no advantage to you. (Hebrews 13:17)

Obedience and submission involve respect and honor. I was frustrated when I heard people in the McCain crowd booing when McCain was graciously conceding to the rightful winner of the Presidency. Very immature, in my opinion. Do we not all agree that whoever gets the most votes wins? People seem to think that method is fair...until their man doesn't win.

And as Christians, it doesn't matter if "our man" loses. God has known from ages past who was going to be the 44th President of the USA. Our responsibility was to do our part in seeking His will and voting according to our consciences. God has everything all worked out -- for our good and for His glory. We have no right to malign the one He has placed in authority over us. We are to obey Obama, respect him, and pray for him. Being President is no easy job, and we should not make it more of a burden than it already is. Even if you might consider him and enemy, Jesus said...

You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. (Matthew 5:43-45)

But who are we to judge who is righteous and unrighteous? God is the only rightful Judge of men's hearts. On that note, there's been talk about whether or not Obama could be the Antichrist. This is dangerous talk! No one can know who that man will be until God chooses for prophecy to play itself out into history. Not to mention that would be perhaps the worst character attack on any human who ends up NOT being Antichrist! But regardless, even IF Antichrist did come from the USA and held a high office, Scripture does not give Christians room to disobey and dishonor any authority, unless asked to do something directly against God's Word. Every person in history and who is to come has been chosen by God to play a specific role -- whether righteous or unrighteous -- in His grand plan for this world. Our job is to focus on God and follow His Word and the path He has given to us individually without exception, comparison, or judging.

And to those who think the world is going to pot or that the USA is coming to ruin just because Obama was elected to be the next President, here's a word for you. I Corinthians 13:7 says that love always hopes and perseveres. We are called to love others. We are to hope for the best, not wallow in despair for a future that hasn't even come to pass...and may not. Just because I don't agree with all that Obama plans to do does not mean that Obama is going to send our country down the tube. Who knows but that he might improve our country on various fronts? Only God does! All we need to do is obey God by loving others -- hoping for the best in others -- and persevering if things do not go well.

Again, I'm not saying I think Obama was the best for this job (apparently he is or God would have elected otherwise) or that our country will see grand days ahead. What I'm saying, especially to Christians, is that we need to focus on our responsibility as God's children. We need to thank Him that He is in control and has our good and His glory in mind. We need to obey Him by respecting and submitting to the authorities He has placed over us. We need to love our authorities and pray for them. We need to hope for the best, taking joy in knowing our God has no limits to His sovereignty. We need to be prepared to persevere, no matter if the future is bright or dim. Our hope is in the Lord, not in any man! Frankly, I'm kind of excited to see how things are going to change and what God has in store for this world in the coming years! Not a happy excited, but an anticipatory excited...if that makes sense.

On a more personal note, I think the one thing that has touched my heart about this election stems from my recent epiphanies (see previous posts). Obama is a human being with a whole life story behind him. He's not untouchable. The man has emotions and memories just like we do. Throughout Obama's speech last night, I kept getting choked up and even cried once because I kept thinking about how his grandmother JUST missed seeing her grandson become the President Elect. And not just any President...the first African American one! To be any man just elected and know that one of the dearest women of your life missed the moment would be heartbreaking. To be any woman and think that you might miss your grandson become President would be heartbreaking.

And to be Michelle, seeing your very own husband become the next President...and you the next First Lady...and your daughters now spending a good chunk of growing up years in the White House...mind blowing!

And to be me, old enough to finally care about paying attention to my governing authorities. To see the first African American President elected. Yet another moment (like 9/11) that will go down in my history just like JFK's assassination and the moon landing did for my grandparents.

And to be my sons, whose first election of their lifetime was so incredibly historical.

Certainly a day we all will never forget.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Post! Very well written.

Gina said...

I took my girls to the polls with me on Tuesday - because I pretty much knew that even though my candidate wouldn't win - I wanted them to know what it was all about. I wanted them to have taken part in a day that I knew would prove to be historical. It was exciting for us (Katherine kept asking "Mommy, you did vote for the man with white hair, right?" - she wasn't concerned about his *skin* color - it was his HAIR she focused on - hilarious)

I think more than any other, this President will need our prayer - for his and his family's personal safety. There are nut jobs out there who will seek to do him, his wife and even his children harm because he is African American.

A great post!

Anonymous said...

I agree with being very disappointed by the booing. What a bad reflection. I also did not vote for him even though there are things I agree with him on. However, as you said, to not see the magnitude of the moment would be shallow. It was a really wonderful moment in a lot of ways for Americans. And I cried too:)

Lola said...

GObama!

Powered By Blogger