Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Tippy Tuesday: Chocomint Cake

Yeah, that's the working title of the recipe... Devilmint Cake?  Pepperlate Cake? 
Other suggestions welcome.  :-)

I like peppermint.  I like chocolate.  I like cake.  I like experimenting with cake.  I like festive desserts!  Sounds like a great recipe for coming up with a recipe!  After doing some research, I put together the ideas I found to form a really great cake for holiday parties or wintry events.  I made one for post-Christmas caroling and froze the extra layers to make another cake for New Year's Eve.  The best part, other than the taste, is that it's pretty simple but is far from just an ordinary cake!


The first time, I added peppermint extract to canned vanilla frosting per my husband's "refined (sugar)" taste.  The second go-around I made peppermint whipped cream frosting.  Wow.  Do I ever prefer the real whipped cream!  But, you choose whatever suits your fancy, skill level, and time!  That's why I love cake-making.  You can experiment in so many ways!  And by using cake mixes rather than scratch, you save time and money.  You just "kick it up a notch" as Emeril would say.  Make it "semi-homemade" as Sarah would approve.  It's just fun 'n easy!


You'll need...


2-4 round cake pans
parchment paper
butter

1 box white cake mix
3 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1 cup buttermilk (1 cup milk, 1 Tbs lemon juice - let sit 5 min)
1 Tbs peppermint extract
Red food gel/coloring

1 box devil's food cake mix
3 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1 cups buttermilk (1 cups milk, 1 Tbs lemon juice - let sit 5 min)

2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 tsp+ peppermint extract
1/3 cup powdered sugar

*If you don't have four cake pans, prepare each cake flavor at different times.  You can save a layer of each and freeze for the future.*

Cut circles of parchment to fit in bottom of round cake pans.  Using a paper towel, butter paper and sides of pan.  Preheat oven to 350 (325 for dark pans).

For devil's food cake, combine devil's food cake mix, 3 eggs, 1/2 cup oil, and 1 cup buttermilk.  Mix according to package directions.  Pour into 2 prepared cake pans and bake as directed.

For peppermint cake, combine white cake mix, 3 eggs, 1/2 cup oil, and 1 cup buttermilk.  Mix according to package directions.  Add 1 Tbs peppermint extract and mix well.  Divide in half.  Add red food gel/coloring to half and mix well until desired color is achieved.  Pour half of the white batter into each of 2 prepared cake pan.  Dollop red batter on top of each and swirl gently with a butter knife.  Bake as directed.

Cool cakes 10 minutes in pan.  Remove to cooling racks and cool completely.

When cakes are cooled, prepare frosting.  Using a cold bowl and beaters, beat heavy whipping cream until it starts to thicken.  Add 1/3 cup powdered sugar and 1+ tsp peppermint extract.  Beat until stiff peaks form.  Place chocolate layer on platter.  Spread with frosting.  Place peppermint layer upside down on frosting.  Frost entire cake.  Decorate!


You can get the checkered look by cutting a circle out of the middle of each cake layer and swapping them.  You have to frost the sides of the circles to make sure they stay put -- sorta tricky, but worth it if you want the look!  After doing it both ways, I think I personally prefer one layer of peppermint and one of chocolate rather than checkered.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger